Chapter 8

It felt odd to go to his room without him home.

Jane's early rustling woke me as I drowsed in the sitting room. It took everything in me to not carry the pendant everywhere; it now snug beneath the double layers of my mattress. Ezekiel advised me to be wary of the finish, the sharp sting still fresh in the room. I set the book back down with the stack on the dresser. If he didn't return soon, I would have to start exploring out of boredom. There was nothing new I could gather from the tomes, and I was chomping at the bit for anything with an ounce of storytelling.

My window was still barred in my room, and I frowned as I looked under my bed, trying to find Luther. Rhazien had seemed unbothered by it, but I heard the cars on the street during dusk, and I knew they were no match for a distracted feline. I chewed the inside of my cheek, deciding on prodding Rhazien in the morning.

I changed for the night, regretfully choosing a silky baby doll. With my curves returning, the fabric was starting to snag on my hips and bust, limiting my options by the night.

It was like an itch, and I found myself pacing, my gaze drifting back to my door, waiting to hear the front one unlock. It felt like my Beast was being stretched and drawn by the hum smothered underneath my mattress and Rhazien's return, the former siren's call winning as I regretfully tucked in for the evening.

֍ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ⸸ ֍

The dull knock stirred me awake, groaning and rubbing the crust from my eyes, the small curse from the other side of my door hurrying my feet to answer it. Rhazien's hair was ruffled, and his shirt seemed rumpled; the combination made my stomach solidify, my ribs pinching my lungs as I sucked in. He looked like he hadn't slept, the hollows of his eyes unwavering in a frown as he examined his hand, a brown smear on his knuckles.

"Oh, yeah. Ezekiel said–" Rhazien grumbled, pushing past me in a huff, the sink turning on before I could blink. "Yes. Of course, you can come on in. Good morning to you, too."

Rhazien grunted from my bathroom, the sound desperate as he struggled with the stain.

I leaned against the doorway, watching his attempt, a sound from the hall stiffening my spine, dropping my voice, "What's with you?"

Rhazien spoke through gritted teeth, "We have a guest."

I heard then the tinkling of a glass being filled in the receiving room.

I held my gasp, pushing into the bathroom with him, my movements slow as I shut the door silently, immediately regretting how close I stood to him. My knees went weak with relief when I observed that the wrinkles were from long-term wear, not re-dressing; my breath catching as he reached for the towel behind me.

His blue swallowed my skin greedily in his scan, a flush creeping up his features as I crossed my arms, trying to avoid the shiver in my thighs that ignited from the movement.

I forced myself to swallow, huffing as I looked back to the door. "A friendly guest?"

"You could say that." His words were tight, his features set like marble. Rhazien started to splash his face, the water drowning out his voice from prying ears, or at least human ones. "I need you to be on your best behavior."

I hissed through my teeth, "I don't think I'm the one that's been annoying your acquaintances recently." I snatched the towel before he could take it, the water dripping down his cheeks and curling his beard. The corner of his mouth dipped in a frown.

"Now is not the time for you to throw a fit."

This fucking guy.

"Trust me, this isn't a fit." My hand hovered over the door, his eyes widening. "Do you want me to show you what one looks like?"