Chapter 22

Luther locked Rhazien's door, a knob I realized was similar to my old one. My gaze kept skimming to the lankier man as he reached for the string attached to the ceiling.

I began to wonder how many of Rhazien's actions were solely his decision and how many were just mere requests.

My head had begun to ache.

I forced stiff legs to move from my Sire's door, eager to bundle up. The chill had been biting ever since I'd left Rhazien's bedroom.

I collected my journal and a writing utensil, settling into the drawing room.

The green chair was a pillar in the room, and Rhazien's vacancy was ever so much more missing.

I was grateful for the silence– but it was equally terrifying.

I feared that if he met Final Death, I would too. Eight years, hooked up to a machine of his blood. Luther was collecting a snack in the kitchen as I curled up in the emerald cushions, my body still buzzing from my intrusion.

Luther returned, an empty mug hanging from a long finger, a decanter tucked against his body, and a blender bottle in the other, the metal ball bouncing in the red liquid. He set the decanter down next to me, flipping me the glass.

He'd changed into a thin vintage Metallica tee and flannel red pajama bottoms, collapsing onto the loveseat in relief.

I raised a brow at the workout bottle, his grin entirely too smitten as it turned to me. "I'm clumsy; it's best if I have a lid... Trust me."

Luther had cleaned up, but the hair was still slow to grow in on the long stretch against his head. My lips tugged downwards. "Are you okay?"

They didn't even flicker as he shrugged, the motion telling me more than any words could. "I'm fine."

I gnawed on my tongue, Luther leaning to prop himself on an elbow.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you back there– I just didn't... I didn't think considering your guys' history– It didn't seem like a good idea to mix the two. And I know you've got your own problems–"

I poured myself a glass, a hand running through his hair as he fell back.

"I really, really didn't want to drag you into this. It's so fucking typical of him to act like this... I'm so sorry; this is all just so fucked... And I just– This was not the impression–"

"Luther–"

"But fuck... I don't know what I would have done without your help. I haven't seen Rhaz like that in fucking years, babe; it scared the shit out of me."

I chewed the inside of my gums to bite back my smirk, letting him sit in the silence as I took a sip.

Luther's cheeks flushed a brilliant crimson as he realized his slip. "I-I'm sorry, it's just a–"

I raised the other brow. "A pet name?" A smile tucked into my cheek as the flush climbed further down his throat. I waved a hand at him. "Don't mention it... Owing me a life boon and all, I'm gonna have to get used to keeping you around, I guess..." I rolled my eyes, smiling into my cup as I took another drink. The vitae was helping with the constant ache in my head, but the buzzing was increasingly more difficult to stave off due to being up well past my bedtime.

Luther sat up a little taller, his foot–sure enough– bumping the bottle he had set onto the floor. The lid was secured before he ruined a rug that was probably older than my entire family line. A wide hand scooped up the container like it was a non-issue, popping the lid as he drank, the flush creeping back under his skin.