Chapter 15

"You... Werwith Rhazien thanight..." The words tumbled from my lips, the splitting pounding in my skull making it hard to focus on speech. The itching had begun under my skin, the hunger.

The woman sighed, resting her back against the stall. She seemed out of place for a dark and sexy nightclub like Deviant, adorned in a sunshine yellow dress with little white daisies complimenting her brilliant ginger hair. A large swath of freckles scattered across her face in dark, rosy clusters, her dainty pink mouth pinched into a tight scowl. Not at me, I realized, at herself. Her nose tilted upwards slightly at the end, making it seem like she was looking down at me with the angle. Her blue eyes darted to the crack in the door stall, my mind desperately trying to put together what had happened on the dance floor. My blood still warming up in this woman's presence.

Her voice lifted just before she finished speaking as if she never gave herself enough breath to form words. "Not here... We can talk somewhere safe..." Her eyes softened as they turned back to me, her hand gentle as she swept the hair back from my sweating neck. "For a moment there, I didn't think you'd ever stop... Did you attempt to drink something you can't?" Her tone held no judgment, just soft– someone trained in caring for the sick.

"Casssh... gavemesummin..."

Her head shook slightly, her gaze snapping to the ceiling. "Idiot... Doesn't understand basic—" she stopped herself, shaking her head again before she looked back at me. "How are you feeling now?"

Hollow. I was feeling hollow. "Better..." I sighed, trying to finally sit back. I took the folded toilet paper she handed me to wipe the corners of my mouth. I missed water. And I was half tempted to just dunk my head in the toilet bowl and open my jaw to wash the taste of ash from my tongue.

"I don't think anyone saw you—if that's something you're worried about." She rolled a curl between her fingers, tucking it behind a small ear when she looked back at me. I can do my best to answer any questions you have—if you're comfortable coming back to mine." Her freckles glowed suddenly with her blush, her gaze falling to the tile.

Do you know her?

No... I scanned her form again, her homespun bag at her side, the contents protruding in lumpy angles against the fabric. Her small feet were stuffed into flats tucked underneath her. I don't think so...

But yet, beneath the voice, in the serpent that was my Beast, I felt calm. Settled. Whole- if only partially.

"I think thatwould benice." My hand found the thud in my skull, pressing against the shattering pain, tiny stars lighting my vision.

My companion groaned as she stood, such a human thing that tugged a smile from my lips. Her pallor was flushed and humane looking, but her heart was so slow it was nearly unrecognizable outside the bass of the building. "We can get you back up to ship shape again." She held a hand out for me, the skin surprisingly coarse and rough when I took it. I was further shocked to see I towered over her when I stood.

Her blue eyes widened as I straightened, her cheeks dusting in another swathe of pink. I went to stick out my hand, her own flying to cover my mouth before I could finish uttering my name. She shook her head twice more, looking out into the bathroom.

Her hand retracted back to her chest as if in shock at her actions, the red darkening further on her round cheeks. "Sorry– just– not here..." She seemed to gather her resolve before taking my arm and leading me back out to the club.