Chapter 14

The bouncer nodded once, unclicking the velvet rope as he opened the door for my escort and me.

The wall of sound swallowed us into its belly, the room a smoky haze, the lights scattering through the whisps.

His satin shirt hung loose around his form, rolled to his elbow that was hooked firmly around my waist; his smile was easy as he flashed white teeth at all who looked at him and, more pointedly– me on his arm. My Beast was scattered, distracted by the mixing scent of drugs, sweat, and sex– his voice dropping to a purr in my ear,

"Y'know, I wasn't expecting Valentine's best-kept secret to wander into my domain this quickly." His words were clear in my mind despite the booming music, his fingers tapping to the beat on my side.

"This is your club then?" My voice was shrill compared to his even tone over the blaring music. Silently thankful I hadn't been let out of the house right away; all this would have fucking mutilated my hearing.

His full bottom lip spread into a wide smirk, his lip ring glinting in the light. "If you say you like it, does that mean The Prince will grace me with his presence?" His tone was half mocking as he walked us down the lit steps into the thrall of bodies.

I leaned back to look at him properly. In boots, we were nearly the same height. "Should we get a drink?" I attempted to pull away from him toward the bar, crowded with customers, his grip firm on my side.

"I've got a place... a bit more secluded for my special guests." He winked, leading us through the crowd that parted for him without request, my anxiety rising further.

I was shit at introductions.

My Beast was quiet and unreachable, with all the distractions and no central point to contain its will.

I tried not to give away my dread as he led us to a small, extremely secluded booth built into the wall, flashing an award-winning smile his way instead. "Does my handsome escort have a name?"

He laughed, the sound dancing on my skin and fisting my hair. It felt like a compulsion to swoon, and I let him drown me in it. I slid back into the booth, his arms stretching between the posts, leaning towards me, the jewelry in his ears glittering in charming contrast to his skin. "You, darling, can call me Cash."

My Beast was reaching, focusing on the beat of his heart. The flush under his cheeks made his pallor smooth and human. His teeth straight, white, and fang-free. I let my body relax for just a moment, an easy smile hanging off my lips. "Whatcha want to talk about, Cash?" I scooted into the booth, patting the spot beside me.

Cash's eyes flashed, his easy grin twisting slightly into something more sinister, sliding beside me, arm stretching past me. He smelled like bleach and gold, clean and wealthy but highly curated so. New Money. "You... Color me curious. It's hard to find something that sneaks under my radar."

I let my gaze fall and pulled away from him coyly; unlike Rhazien, Cash bit the hook; "Nah, trust me, the last several weeks have been boring as hell in that house." I gasped, letting my hands cover my mouth, and turned to Cash. What I would kill to blush at that moment to really sell it. "I don't think I was supposed to say that."

Cash leaned on the table, resting his chin in his palm like a sleepy lovestruck puppy, "I'm sure there's nothing too incriminating that you could tell me." I felt another tug at the look he gave me, a wandering finger down my spine, although his hands remained in sight.

"Rhazien would say otherwise." I rolled my eyes. I didn't mean to say that.

Cash leaned back, his broad nose flaring slightly. His look was too comfortable like I had told him too much. "Interesting..."