• 8 •

Flames licked at her skin, ready to devour her whole but only coming close enough to tempt her with their burning death

Flames licked at her skin, ready to devour her whole but only coming close enough to tempt her with their burning death. Everywhere she looked was red, the smoke rising was pooling in the ceiling like a gray cloud. A brewing storm that was ready to strike her down.

Desa tried to force down a breath of air but the billowy smoke that descended to her lungs only made her eyes burn and rack up a coughing fit through her whole body. She crouched down onto the wooden floor. She saw the carvings on the floor that she knew so well.  A five year old version of herself had carved it in, one restless night with Eva. Lying under their rusty old creaky bed, hiding from the Matron and giggling in their mischief.

The thought of Eva's bright singsong laugh made Desa's head snap up. Where was she? Eva? She was screaming her name into the hot flames, hoping to get a reply back. The reply she got chilled her to the bone. Screams. Tiny, high pitched screams echoing all around her. Desa raised her hands up to her ears to block out the excruciating pain of those screams. She didn't mean to do it. She didn't really.

But the screams never relented. Desa could hear the tiny children scream as their burning flesh was a stomach churning scent in the smoke all around her. She heard a scream similar to those around her but this one was closer. She realised it was coming from her own throat. A searing pain was climbing up her left leg. The flames had finally reached her and was burning through her flimsy clothes.

Her tiny hands tried to pat the fire down but it didn't go away. Her pants were melting into her skin. The smell and the pain made her empty stomach retch and the sight of her skin bubbling up as it boiled almost made her faint. There was not enough air.

She started panting, there wasn't enough air, she needed air. Desa was getting dizzy and the screams were slowly dying off one by one. But she still kept screaming as much as her tiny lungs could manage. Her throat was sore but it wouldn't be long now, soon the fire would take her too as it had her brothers and sisters. The flames got closer as she desperately tried to take a deep breath but there was nowhere for it to go.

 The flames got closer as she desperately tried to take a deep breath but there was nowhere for it to go

Someone was calling her name, repeatedly. But it sounded far away, coming through a fog. The pain from being burnt alive was still fresh on her tender skin and she could feel it roughly grabbing her by the arms. But they didn't hurt as much as they did a second ago. The hands were shaking her by the arms, calling out to her.