• 24 •

Aksel's POV

Aksel's POV

He had a very thin thread holding his bending at bay right now. Aksel could feel every puddle, every drop and every cluster of moisture in the air begging for him to reach out and bend them to his will. His blood thrummed in his veins to be let loose with the power surging through him. To pull every liquid available to him in a call of rage and then bring down a wall of ocean that would drown the entirety of Avilfell in the hopes that he could wash away the memory of Desa hurting and drowning the people responsible for it.

His fisted hand trembled at his sides as he kept walking three steps behind Mihram as he carried the wounded elf in his arms. Aksel's gaze never leaving her leaned head on Mihram's shoulder as they walked down the streets towards the harbour and to his house.

It wasn't difficult to find Mihram, who had also been searching for Desa close by upon his request. What had been hard was to leave Desa crying and in pain, huddled in that dark alley. When he had returned to Desa's side with Mihram in tow, seeing her so surprised at his return and how utterly broken she looked...  she'd really believed he was going to leave her there on the cold dirty alley floor in an injured state.

He'd wanted to scream at that fact alone. How could she believe that? Did she think so little of him? Herself? Aksel could do nothing as he watched Desa struggle to not get into Mihram's hold. He wanted to push aside Mihram and lift her broken body himself and tuck her where he could keep her close but every time he was close to her, the damned curse would force her body to attack. And she was injured, the last thing he wanted to do was cause her more pain than she was already in.

So he watched from a few steps away as he trailed behind his friend, never falling behind or tearing his gaze away.

Who would do something like this? The question had been running over and over in Aksel's mind like a never ending tune. She hadn't answered his questions but he knew that the person who wanted him dead was the same person that did this. But why? Desa had completed the mission for all accounts. Yes she hadn't actually managed to kill him but a fatal wound was bound to be just as good he figured. And whoever they were, they couldn't possibly know Aksel had survived.

So why would they hurt her? It didn't make any sense.

Not that it had to make sense, if they were twisted and sick enough to force Desa into servitude for twelve years, who could know what else they'd done during that time. To what extent they'd pushed her.

The visual of her swollen and bruised face, split lip and bandaged leg brought a chill over his body. This wasn't the first time. All those scars over her body.

For twelve years.

The waves along the shore crashed a bit harder, wetting Aksel's ankles as they kept walking along the docks to his house. He forced his hold on the salty seawater to loosen. But as he thought more on the subject, his mind running rampant with possibilities, it became harder and harder to contain his rage. Did she get punished no matter if she completed the mission or not? Had she always been treated this unfairly?