• 20 •

Desa's feet started moving before she had time to crumple the note in her hand

Desa's feet started moving before she had time to crumple the note in her hand. Her feet touched the ground and her whole body started moving. Before she left the bar, she thrust out her hand to grab the alcohol bottle and leave a few silver in its place.

As the enchantment forced her body to leave and obey Sontarro's order, Desa felt her mind shutting down. It had almost become second nature for her to shield her emotions and thoughts whenever Sontarro sent for her.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Niam's voice called after her but Desa didn't reply. Her body had a mind of its own because of the enchantment, she wouldn't be able to stop, but she didn't want to anyway. She just tilted the bottle in her hand back and drank some more as she opened the door of the tavern to leave. If she was going to have hell, might as well do it while drunk.

Desa took two steps before the tavern doors opened behind her and Niam followed her out. She suppressed the need to sigh as he ran up to her side. "Why did you abruptly leave?" Niam asked.

Desa held up the piece of paper the order was written on between her index and middle finger in its crumpled state. "You're the reason I left." She said simply as she sipped from her bottle and kept moving.

From the corner of her eye she saw Niam's face take on a look of confusion. "Did you have to leave immediately? Couldn't you start on whatever it is tomorrow morning? Or at least say goodbye?"

Desa couldn't suppress her sigh this time. She wasn't going to answer but she felt the enchantment stopping her body. Of course, she couldn't lead anyone to Sontarro so her body refused to continue in the direction until she got rid of Niam.

Desa turned to face Niam. She took a deep breath to settle her nerves. It's not his fault, it's not his fault. She kept repeating to herself in the hopes that she wouldn't lose her temper with him again. "Niam, I have to leave and you can't come with."

Niam made a move to open his mouth but Desa held up a hand to stop him.

"No you can't help me this time, no you can't be my friend and no you really don't want to follow me wherever I'm going." She said in a tired tone. This had been a very, very long day of emotional fright trains. And on top of all that, now she needed to go to Sontarro when all she wanted to do was go home and cry herself to an alcohol induced sleep. It really sucked that she couldn't do that.

Niam looked at her like he was at a loss for words. "Did- did I do something wrong?" Desa briefly closed her eyes. It was really hard to communicate with people when she couldn't explain everything. She only ended up hurting herself, others and messing everything up.

"No Niam, you didn't do anything wrong, just think about what I said for working in this line of business." Desa stretched out the empty bottle to him, and signalled back to the tavern with her head. "Go and talk to her, I'm certain she would want to have you once she gets to know you, rather than a pile of gold."