• 15 •

The next couple of days everything fell into a comforting habit

The next couple of days everything fell into a comforting habit. In the mornings, they had delicious breakfast prepared by Aksel, then they went to the warehouse to load and unload ships. In the afternoons, they retreated back to Aksel's house to scour the books and try solutions. It almost always ended bad for Desa. Whether it was something exploding in her face or a nasty potion concoction forced down her throat, the result was always the same, she was still not free.

In the evenings, Aksel instructed Desa through the basics of bending, teaching her how to embrace the flow of the power rather than stand against it. Apparently that's what she was doing, as Aksel constantly reminded her.

A frustrated groan left her mouth as she tried to feel the stifled air around her and move the tiniest bit of it to create movement. Aksel had moved them inside the house after he was content that Desa had learned how air naturally moved in free space. Now they needed some place closed for her to start small and not be overwhelmed by the movement.

"You can't start swimming in the deepest part of the ocean, we don't want you to drown." Aksel had said. Which at the time had seemed like such a temptation. Desa took a deep breath and focused on the still air around her, she was sitting at the wooden floor boards where Aksel had removed the coffee table to the side so there was room for her to sit down on the ground and meditate. Meditation was a key part of focusing on her surroundings and it was driving her nuts.

She peeked one eye open to steal a glance at the armchair Aksel was sitting in. He was leaned back and reading one of the spell books he had found at the far corners of the bazaar yesterday. It was called 'Healing Through Water' which was very self explanatory.

"Close your eyes Desa." Aksel said without tearing his eyes from the book he was holding. Desa quickly closed her eye and rolled her eyes beneath the closed lids. She could swear he had a third eye somewhere.

"I've been trying non stop for three days. I can't bend." They had discussed the possibility that the enchantment might be limiting her air bending too, except to force her to breathe again when she was choking as she woke up from a nightmare, which was like a reflex, the magic saving her from herself. So it was a very high likelihood that no matter how hard she tried, she was never going to bend.

She heard Aksel closing his book so she opened her eyes and turned her head towards him. The navy coloured shirt he wore brought out the hidden streaks of dark blue in his hair. "When you removed that ring, it gave a leeway which resulted in you being able to squirm around the orders unless they were closer than three steps." Desa nodded, they already knew this, why was he repeating it? "It might not have only given your body but also your movements when it comes to air bending some leeway too. No matter how little, we'll try to use it." Aksel said as he leaned back again, propping his ankle over his other knee and continued swiping the pages of his book.