• 17 •

"For the love of fae Mihram!" Desa exclaimed as a giant crate landed on her right big toe

"For the love of fae Mihram!" Desa exclaimed as a giant crate landed on her right big toe. She lifted the edge of the crate and scooted her injured feet back from underneath the heavy box before lowering it with a thud back on the ground.

She wanted to sputter out expletives but restrained herself as she crouched a little. She was sure she lost the toe for a second there.

"What?" Mihram asked as he dusted his hands from the dirt.

Desa straightened up and placed a hand on her hip. "Can you please give a heads up next time when you decide to let a very heavy crate go so I can appropriately clear all my limbs from the impact zone?" She said as she looked pointedly at him.

Mihram scoffed and turned around. He was a real pain in the ass, Desa had came to realise. It was hard working with someone who didn't really believe you killed people without your free will. But she guessed it was the best under the circumstances. He was talking to her and not threatening her every few hours so, progress.

They had loaded another ship called 'Tidebearer' these past few days and it was exhausting work. Between spending her day working at the warehouse and her afternoons researching and then bending, she was tired. It was a good kind of tired, but still tired.

She looked around the docks scanning the many sweaty faces surrounding the busy day. Desa was on edge, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because one thing that was certain was that the other shoe was going to drop. She just didn't know when.

It wasn't like Sontarro to let her go, mind his business. It had only taken her one day to find Aksel, seek him out and attack him, so Sontarro most definitely knew where to find him. So why wasn't anyone here? Desa looked at the stone buildings lining the harbour and the shadowed small streets between them. Was he already spying on her? Waiting for her to make a move?

Why wasn't anyone here dragging her back to him? The thought sent an involuntary shiver down her spine in spite of the hot day.

"You're daydreaming again." Mihram's off pitch sing song voice barrelled into her consciousness. Despite Aksel and Mihram being very close, they couldn't be further apart in personality. Where Aksel was the hull of the ship, strong and reliable, Mihram was the flimsy hole patched dirty sail flailing up against the pole. It was so easy to get annoyed with him, that it almost fascinated Desa. How exactly did someone manage to push this many buttons in such limited time? She wanted to learn just so she could instigate bar fights quicker in the future.

Desa moved to gather the heavy braided straw coloured rope into a more manageable heap so it could be carried onto the ship. The rope was almost as thick as her biceps, just lifting it was a feat on its own. "So tell me, how do you two know each other?" Desa asked Mihram as he continued carrying supplies onto the ship.