• 11 •

"Remind me, why am I doing this again?" Desa asked as beads of sweat ran down her forehead and into her eyes

"Remind me, why am I doing this again?" Desa asked as beads of sweat ran down her forehead and into her eyes. She huffed out a breath in hopes to swat away the hair falling in her field of vision. The reason she couldn't use her hands to tuck the annoying piece of hair was that they were currently busy carrying crates filled with fae knows what.

Heavy crates she might add.

"We have to load this ship, it's set to sail tomorrow and we don't trust you to leave you alone." Mihram said as he carried a crate down the dock next to her. Aksel was probably inside the warehouse counting the inventory but she couldn't complain. The farther away he was, less likely she was to randomly attack him.

Desa put the crate she had carried on top of the stack next to the ship. She stood up straighter cracking her back as the wooden deck beneath her feet creaked. Finally swiping that stray hair behind her ear, she strengthened her ponytail. No one was idly standing around to look closely at her in the hot midday. Everyone was rushing around, getting ships ready, yelling back and forth. It was actually nice to be normal for a change and work with decent people. No one threw a second glance her way like she was out of place or judged the scars showing on her forearms from her sleeved up shirt.

"Are you going to actually be of use or stand around all day?" Mihram said over his shoulder and carried the crate over a narrow looking plank aboard the ship. "Start grabbing those and loading up the ship." He said as he turned around.

Desa swiped the sweat coating her face with the neck of the shirt she was wearing and then bent down to pick up a crate. Thank the fae this one was a bit lighter. Her back ached a bit as she straightened up walking down the dock to get through the plank and onto the ship.

Just as she was taking a step onto the narrow plank, she hit an invisible wall. More like smacked into the wall as she got sent back a couple of steps, losing her balance and falling down with the crate she was holding on top of her.

"Oh come on! That is not me trying to leave Avilfell! I'm just trying to load the ship up." She yelled into the open sky in frustration. Sliding the crate off of her torso, she angrily got up, swiped off her oversized pants of dust and placed her hands on her hips. She was looking at the plank like she was willing it to burst into fire. Mihram walked down back from the ship, giving her a confused look.

"You know you're not telepathic right? The crates won't float onto the ship if you stare really hard at them." He said pointing back at the ship with his thumb.

Desa couldn't stop herself before she rolled her eyes. "Oh no thank you for telling me that, my next attempt was going to be picking you up and dropping you into the ocean. Sad to learn it's not going to work."

Mihram threw her a glance at her that said, 'really?' And then moved to pick up another crate. "Then come on, help me carry these."

"I can't."