• 16 •

"I never had parents

"I never had parents." Desa's voice was quiet as she admitted it. She went back to looking off at the cabinet on the wall in front of her, finding it hard to keep eye contact with Aksel as she talked.

She swallowed and rubbed the crease between her eyebrows trying to ease the tension that was starting to build up there. She cleared her throat mussing up the courage to speak. "I was at the Cartwell Orphanage as early as I can remember." A small smile formed on her lips as she remembered the big brown building with giant archways and rundown rooms. It was home, and nothing could change that fact.

"It used to be on the outskirts of Avilfell, but our matrons took us into the busy parts ever so often so we didn't grew up as outcasts. I still remember how magical it felt the first time I saw the carts and stores lined up in Thornsville. All these different merchants with otherworldly goods and spices, shouting about their fares, I thought I'd get to see where everything came from with my own eyes when I got old enough to leave the orphanage." The bitter truth was that she never got to age sixteen to be dismissed from the orphanage. The small smile on Desa's face faltered a little but didn't go away, she loved the distant memories of the orphanage, the running and classes, sleeping in one big dormitory, all pleasant like a big warm home for her.

Desa chanced a quick look Aksel's way and saw that he was intently waiting for her to continue, it was... unusual to have someone to talk to, especially about her past when no one had bothered knowing more about her. She guessed his logic was to speak to her and find a way out of the enchantment, if they could make her use her powers or learn something from her past, she might be free from it all. This all made sense to her but didn't make it any easier to talk about it. She desperately wanted something to numb the feelings starting to rise in her. She could feel the air starting to get suffocatingly hot.

"Eva." She blurted out, before she could lose her courage. "Her name was Eva." It was the first time she had said her name out-loud after what happened. A deep rooting ache started in her chest, spreading to her shoulders. Desa tried to rub the spot above where her heart was in hopes that it would ease the pain, but it did not.

"She was my bunk mate." She whispered, looking over the tiny crack in the distant cabinet with unfocused eyes. Her golden hair like a warm sunshine and brown eyes like the rich dirt flashed before her eyes. She was the most beautiful forest sprite in the whole town. "We were all brothers and sisters, but when you are closer in age, you tend to get put in same classes, same beds and overall become closer. She was my best friend and sister." A memory of running in the overgrown weeds passed quickly through Desa's mind. It was harder to grasp on to those precious memories as twelve years passed. It's funny how she kept seeing the horrible nightmares every night and they got etched behind her eyelids when, the memories that she wanted to hold on like these, only seemed to drift farther away everyday.

She shook her head a little to clear her mind, "I.. I don't remember when it really started. When I think back at it, I think there were signs that I had started developing bending. A little breeze when no windows were open, or holding my breath longer than the other kids when we went swimming in the lake. I just hadn't realised it. The other kids didn't have any abilities so I never thought I would." She looked down at her hands and realised she had started circling the missing pinky again with her thumb. She didn't stop the nervous habit, it was hard to relive the past as it is.