Chapter 3: Wednesday at TRIA

It's finally Wednesday. Like Wednesday. The Wednesday that I start working with the Minnesota Wild. The Wednesday, my entire life is going to change. Fuck this is stressfull. My alarm woke me up so rudely at 5:00am. The sun was not even up yet, and I silently cursed my night owl nature, along with the fact that I have not woken up this early since university, when one of my exams called for landscape nature photography and I had the bright idea to capture the sunrise. Spoiler alert: it did not end very well then, and I don't think it was going to end very well today. Unless I got some coffee... Yes, coffee was needed.

After rolling out of bed... literally rolling, and having not 1, but 2 coffee's, I was able to find my way to my closet and get dressed. It was pretty easy considering I mentally picked out my outfit while laying in bed last night. I put on a pair of light wash jeans that fit perfectly and hugged all my curves, with a snug beige bodysuit and black blazer - cute, casual, professional. Nailed it.

I decided that it is in my best interest to take the bus today considering my Uber bill has gotten a bit out of hand in the past week. Considering my overprotective parents never allowed me to buy a car, or even get my license, taking the bus or spending my entire paycheck on uber's were the only options. Now I am suddenly realizing that I am out of my mom's grasp and nothing is stopping me from getting a car... except my bank statement. Although working in the NHL makes it sound like I am elite and would get paid accordingly, a sports photographer salary is enough to cover my rent, and some extra, and it helps that I get a lot of perks with the team, but it's not exactly a life of rich luxury. Stupid Brooks for falling in love with a career that pays like shit. Why couldn't like surgery or something. 

***

Surprisingly, the 5:40am bus is Grand Central. Business suits, briefcases, sweatpants and school bags - it's a whole scene.

I make my way to the back of the bus, find a seat by myself and put on my headphones for the short ride to the TRIA rink where Minnesota training camp is being held. The events of last night play over in my head as I stare out the window watching the Mississippi River. Dancing with Bryn, singing my lungs out and beautiful green eyes. I can't seem to get Brayden out of my mind despite my best attempts to distract myself. I would have thought that my anxiety for my first day of working would be enough to drown out the smell of his cologne and his piercing smile, but even that has failed. Although I don't think I was ready for a one night stand, I could have at least gotten his number and saved it for a rainy day. Stupid Brooks.

I had called Grace over the weekend and caught her up on my week's worth of stories and I swear she almost disowned me for not going home with Mr. Abercrombie on Friday. I swear it was something like have I taught you nothing! Always fuck the hot guy at the bar you idiot. Sorry my bad for having some self worth... even though it's all I can think of now. On a more positive note, she is happy that I have been able to make some friends in my short amount of time here.

I make it to the TRIA rink 15 minutes later and make my way to the front to sign in. I am directed to a room down the hall that has 'MEDIA TEAM' written on the door and I know that I am in the right place. Inside I am greeted by a middle-aged woman with blond hair tied up in a knot and a badge around her neck that reads 'Director of Digital Marketing', also known as my boss, Miranda. I recognized her immediately from my online interviews.

"Hey Brooks, pleasure to finally meet you in person" she says with a smile on her face as she greets me at the door. Before I could even respond she continued. "Welcome to the team. Here is your badge. Wear it at all times, it will give you access to most of the facilities to get the behind the scenes look at our boys. This is Addison and Garrett, they are going to be your team members for the season" she motions to two people behind her that don't look much older then me.