Part Fifteen: the Break

Thankfully, my parents decided to give my phone back, "for emergencies only". They had been getting frustrated with me disappearing and not being able to get in touch with me. It didn't happen a lot, but it was finally enough to warrant a family meeting.

    That morning, my dad sat unbothered in the corner as always. He only awake enough to vigorously stir at his tall cup of chocolate milk. Years of working day and night shifts in a factory, he drank more coffee than he ever cared to taste again. Now he started each day with a tall glass of cocoa and an intense stare down with the weather channel on the television.

    Despite usually being such a morning person, my dad was not ready for a serious talk this early in the day, much to my mom's dismay. This one was all on her.

    She tightened the rope around her waist, foot tapping as she waited for us all to pay attention to her pacing in the middle of the room. Her black curly hair coiled down her shoulders, twisting into the thick fuzz of her robe. Mom's dark green eyes darted back and forth between my brother and I with the same animosity. He rarely got in trouble, I couldn't imagine what he did to deserve an eight a.m. lecture with me.

    Mom sucked her teeth, tossing her hands up as she spoke, "Alright, I'm just going to say it. You guys are almost adults- Cameron, you'll be leaving for college soon. I know you have your own lives and you want your own freedom, that's fine. But I hope I raised you well enough to still respect your dad and my rules. You've both been spending a lot of time away from the house, and I just want you to make responsible choices and be safe with your bodies."

    Cameron and I glanced at each other, stifling a laugh. No way she's about to give us 'the talk' right now.

Even my dad coughed on his chocolate milk, "Babe, what are you talking about?"

She gave him dagger eyes. "Stephanie is running around, who knows where, with some older boy we don't know- "

"Older boy?" My dad interrupted.

She continued, "And Cameron is spending all night goofing off with his friends, not getting ready for college at all!"

Cameron rolled his eyes and started to walk out of the room, "It's not a big deal mom."

"I'm serious! It's spring break for you guys, but dad and I still have to work. I want you guys to have fun, but be careful. Once school starts again, I expect you both to focus big time. It's time to shape up those grades." That one felt like it was specifically for me. Cameron was never an honor-roll kind of student, but he definitely wasn't flunking the way I was.

    I used to care a lot about my grades. In fact, I was usually ahead of most students in my classes growing up. Last year, when things got bad and I first felt the full force of depression, I gave up on all those things. Maybe now that I'm starting to feel better, I could try to catch up a bit on my work.

But not today. Today I was going to be seeing Anthony again. My boyfriend!

I sent Anthony a 'good morning' text and went to get ready. I was planning on walking downtown and asking him to meet me there. What I wasn't expecting was for him to reply right away, considering how often he would sleep in. I told him my plan before getting my chores quickly out of the way. Floor vacuuming, laundry folding, and a trash taking out later, I took a brief shower then threw on a tight green long sleeved shirt and black shorts. I looked in the mirror to check my dark cat-eye make up before pulling on my white high top sneakers.

    Feeling good, I rushed out the front door. Foolishly enough, I was so excited to hurry to where I was supposed to meet Anthony, that I didn't see the car parked in front of my house. There stood Anthony, coolly leaning his broad shoulders against the frame of his mom's SUV. He was wearing a fitted white t-shirt again, showing off his incredible physique, and loose red sweat pants that looked almost too big for him. He uncrossed his arms, stretching them out for a hug. I was giddy. I ran to him, bounding into his arms. He held me as if I didn't weigh an ounce. I swung my legs around his waist and kissed his smooth lips.