52. The fateful night (2)

"Luffy": talk

"Sabo": whisper

"ACE": shout

"Gomu Gomu no": the skill's name

'idiot': thinking

<Joyboy>: voice of all things

-Into the story-

Since their meeting was held at midnight, only the division that was on watch was up. It was a good thing, since they didn't need to be worried about someone eavesdropping on them. However, Marco still activated his Observation Haki as soon as he entered the room, just in case something was up. Somehow he had a bad feeling ever since he had woken up a few minutes ago.

Soon the room was filled with all the Commanders. Whitebeard had already been in the room before Marco. Looking at all the sleepy Commanders, Marco had to try his best to hold back his laughter, since they looked just like that Zombie guy Luffy used to tell him about. However, Marco quickly got his composure back and started the meeting.

"Thatch, did you bring the fruit?" Marco asked.

"It's right here" Thatch said, then placed the devil fruit on the table for everyone to have a better look at it.

"I believe this is the thing Teach has always wanted to get his hand on, yoi" Marco concluded.

"If this is the first meeting I would have objected to what you have said. However, having watched Teach for a few days, I also believe that Teach has another motive for joining the crew", Jozu said.

"Yeah, I don't know why none of us noticed his suspicious action before" Namur said.

"Plus, I know why he wants the devil fruit. Heck, even I also want one for myself, since they will give you a beast like power" Haruta said.

"So what should we do now?!" Izo asked.

"Thatch, have you figured out what you want to do with the fruit? You're the one who found it first, so it is your choice to choose", Whitebeard said.

Everyone then all looked in Thatch's direction, waiting for his answer. Meanwhile, Thatch was busy debating with himself whether to keep the fruit or give it to someone else. Izo had confirmed that the fruit was the cause of his death since they arrived at their room, so he was worried that if he gave someone else the fruit, didn't it mean that his fate was now theirs? However, keeping the fruit with him wasn't a good thing either. Argh, what should he do then? Thatch rubbed his head furiously.

"I don't know how to decide to be honest. If I am targeted because of this fruit, then so be it. I don't want any of you to be in danger because of my decision", Thatch confessed.

"Very well, then your mission won't be just simply keeping your eyes on Thatch, but you also have to make sure the fruit is safe until Thatch decides to eat it or leave it to other's care", Whitebeard commanded them

"Yes, pops" they all answered.

"Hopefully, the worst won't come", Fosa said.

Whitebeard had noticed that Marco had been quite silent for a while now. Despite the ability to work best under pressure, the amount of stress Marco was facing was nowhere near healthy. Not just Whitebeard, but the other Commanders also started to worry about him. However, the old captain knew that he would never understand what Marco had been through, so the only thing he could do was avoid the worst scenario that might happen to them.

"Marco, why so quiet?! Is everything alright?" Sabo asked worriedly, successfully snapping Marco out of his thoughts.

"Huh? Ah no, I'm fine, no need to worry, yoi" Marco reliped.