Chapter Six - say it

CALISTA GRACE

His eyes bore into mine as he and his group walk into my party.

I break eye contact just to glance down and see him and Amberlyn holding hands. 

My wolf whines in my mind but I don't make a face.

I glance back to his face to find him still looking at me.

He knows. He has too.

"Happy birthday...Mutt." Amberlyn says with a giggle.

My eyes don't leave his. 

For the first time I don't care what Amberlyn says. 

Say it.

He doesn't. Neither do I.

I somehow pull my eyes from his and look at Amberlyn. I smile at her smugly.

I have something she never will.

"Happy birthday." Raina says not looking directly at me. 

I look at her and turn my head toward the side. 

"Thanks." I mutter. She smiles slightly. A genuine smile. And walks away before Amberlyn can.

Amberlyn snarls at me before walking after her friend. Wren doesn't say anything before she follows her leader.

I glance back at Rhett and Amberlyn's brother Alexander.

Rhett starts to walk away but stops when Alexander says, "Well it looks like we're not mates."

I look at Alexander, "You sound disappointed." 

"I am." he says with a smile.

I smile in return and watch as he walks away. Only to find Rhett still standing here staring at me with an expression I can't place. 

I force myself to look away from him and walk past him.

I guess it makes since why I always felt him staring.

Then it hits me.

He knew I was his mate. He's been eighteen for a few months but the past few weeks he's been staring at me. Because I was almost of age. He could sense me as his mate. The same way Jayce could scene Anaya.

I sigh and shake off the disappointment.

I've been preparing for this to happen for a long time. 

Especially since I'm somehow mated to an Alpha.

Never in history has an Omega been mated to an Alpha. Never.

I walk over to my friends and family with a fake smile on my face.

"Anything yet?" Anaya asks.

"No. Nothing yet." I lie.

__________________

As the night progresses, I do my best not to look at Rhett. But I can feel his eyes burning holes into my head. 

"Do you want to dance with me?" A male voice says. I turn to see a boy I don't know.

"Yeah sure." I tell him and he pulls me toward the others dancing.

His blonde hair falls slightly over his forehead which leads to his green eyes. 

Beautiful.

"I'm Preston by the way." he says, and we sway to the music.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, I'm Calista." I respond.

He smiles and dimples form on his cheeks. "I know." 

"Mates watching us." Meave says.

"Good for him." I say back.

"Have you found your mate? I'm assuming that's what this is for right?" he asks.

Yes. "No." I speak. "Do you have a mate?"

Pain fills his eyes and I suddenly wish I could take back my words.

"My mate rejected me." he says.

"Why?" I say looking him over.

"She grew up in love with another man and when the time came, he asked her to pick between us and she chose him." he says his eyes glazed like he's recalling the memories.

"Well, it's her loss. I hardly know you and I can tell you would have been a wonderful mate." 

An appreciative look crosses his face. "And whoever your mate is will be very lucky as well." 

Right. Except my mate is here. And does not think he's lucky. 

"Mate's angry with us." Maeve whines.

I reluctantly glance in the direction that I know he is and sure enough I can practically see the steam coming out of his ears.

He has no right to be angry with us. No fucking right.

I put my attention back on Preston and smile up at him. "I'm going to run to the bathroom, but I'll be right back." I tell him "Okay." he says with his own smile.

I go to the bathroom and do my business. After I wash my hands and I step out I run face first into a hard chest.

Tingles shoot up my body at the contact telling me who's in front of me.

I scramble back out of his embrace, and he smirks. "Easy, little wolf."

Little wolf?

I try to go around him, but he grabs my arm, stopping me. 

"I don't like that man you're grinding on." he says looking directly in my eyes.

I don't back down. "We were dancing. At a party." I tell him crossing my arms over my chest.

"I don't want you around any other man." he tells me.

I scoff. "So, you don't want me, but you don't want another man to want me either?" I ask him, angrily. He steps toward me slowly, "Another man so much as looks at you for too long... he's a dead man, little wolf." he tells me running his fingers along my jaw.

My wolf purrs at the attention from our mate.

"Stop." I tell her through our bond.

Then he pulls his hand away, takes a deep breath, and walks away.

Away from me.

I hold the emotion in. 

It's okay to hurt but not when he can see me. I tell myself.

And walk back to where Preston is still standing.

______________

AUTHOR NOTE 

Thank you for reading Chapter Six of "Little Wolf". 

I hope you enjoyed it!

As always please leave comments and feedback and I'll see you in chapter seven!

<3