Chapter Seven - Cronos

CALISTA GRACE

Being mated has been relatively easy so far. Get up, go to school, act like my mate doesn't exist, talk to literally anyone with a dick and that same mate gets angry, then act like he doesn't give a shit about me.

Easy as breathing.

"Why doesn't mate want us?" Maeve whines for the millionth time since our eighteenth birthday.

Yeah.... that part hasn't been easy. At. All.

I hate the fact that Rhett won't accept me. I hate it even more that he won't accept Maeve.

I really need to tell someone about him. Rhett.

I can't tell Anaya because she'll march up to him and tell him to man up, which will humiliate me.

I can't tell Jude because I don't want her pity. I can't tell parker for the same reason.

My father would blame himself. So, it's a no there.

My mom would...

I can tell her. 

I open my bedroom door and walk downstairs finding my mom folding clothes in the laundry room.

"Hey mom." I say as I walk into the room and cross my arms.

She turns her head as she's folding one of Parker's shirts and says, "Hey sweetheart. What's up?"

"I was wondering if we could talk?" I ask her.

She glances at me with narrowed eyes and sets the shirt down on the folding table.

"Sure. We can go outside if you want?" she says, her eyes pointing to a room, telling me there is someone in it.

I nod my answer and lead my mom out the back door in our kitchen. When we're both out she looks up and me and crosses her arms signaling for me to go ahead.

And I do.

I tell her everything from how Rhett was being weird a couple weeks before I turned eighteen and that there's an Alpha wolf in the woods who watches Maeve, although we're not certain, we believe it is Rhett and his wolf but we're not for certain because we haven't been for a run since the day we played in the woods. Then I tell her at my eighteenth birthday party I figured out that Rhett is in fact my mate and that neither of us claimed each other but neither of us rejected one another either. Then I told her about Preston and how Rhett cornered me when I was coming out of the bathroom. And finally, how at school if I so much as look at another man I feel his eyes burning holes in my head and feel the anger coming off of him. But he finds hit perfectly okay to be so close to Amberlyn around me.

After my rant my mother doesn't say anything. She just stares at the ground. When she still doesn't say anything, I add, "How is it possible for an Omega to be mated to an Alpha?" 

She meets my eyes this time and says, "Calista, there's some-" but my father cuts her off.

"Parkers asking for you." he says. looking at my mother with narrowed eyes. 

I have never seen my father look at my mother with anything other than love and adoration. But not now.

She looks at me swiftly being turning back toward the house and walks inside. I glance at my father but find him already looking at me with an expression I can't place.

Did he hear about my mate?

But he just smiles at me and walks into the house.

"We'll talk more later. Why don't you and Maeve go for a run? Blow some steam off." my mother says through mind-link.

"Alright. I'll be back later." I tell her then close the mind-link.

Maeve shifts similar to last time: without a care.

She sprints through the trees, and I know where she's taking us almost immediately.

The river.

When we get to her favorite spot, she looks around frantically and I can't help the eyeroll.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. So, what if I want mate here." she says with attitude.

"We don't even know if it's him Maeve." I tell her, more gently this time.

"It is mate. Mate played with us and slept on us." she says angrily.

I sigh but don't say anything. I feel the mate bond, but she feels the emotions deeper than I do. She already loves Rhett and doesn't understand how they couldn't love us in return.

"Mate! Mate's here! Calista! It's mate!" Maeve says to me, and I focus out her line of vision to see the black Alpha wolf with silver eyes.

It is Rhett, I can tell for his scent.

Well Rhett in his wolf form.

"Hello Little mate." A deep voice erupts in Maeve's head, the place I currently am.

It's deeper, more animalistic than Rhett's. Which tells me its Rhett's wolf.

"Mate! Mate!" Maeve squeals back to our mate.

"Hello, Calista, I've heard many things about you. What's your name mate?" he asks Maeve.

"Maeve!" she squeals again.

'Maeve." he tests. "I'm Cronos."

Cronos doesn't say anything else. Which probably means he was talking to us without Rhett's knowledge.

Cronos walks over to us slowly and when he gets close, he sniffs the air then he whimpers.

Cronos's eyes flash from silver to the sky blue of Rhett's eyes.

Rhett's fighting for control.

Then Cronos takes off running in the opposite direction without looking back.

Maeve can't help howling in pain.

It's a dreadful sound. One that breaks my heart more than it already is broken.

After the howl Maeve lays down, not having the energy to run back home just yet.

Then we fall asleep.

____________

AUTHOR NOTE

Chapter Seven of Little wolf.

Buckle up it's about to get bumpy.

<3