GOODBYE NATHAN

* * *

I was on my way back from a competition when I heard the teachers were murmuring about something. I ignored it till I heard Nathan's name was called by one of the lecturers.

As we got to school, I ran to Delman's hall to check what they said happened.

The ambulance was at the site, I could hear them from the entrance of the school. There were quite a lot of people who came to watch the scene. One of the students said that the victim is Nathan. Wait Nathan? Victim?

I forced my way to the front roll. A stretcher was dragged towards the ambulance. The body was covered with a white cloth from his head to his leg. He was covered. His hair was sticking out and drops of blood fell from it. The drops fell like tears calling for help.

I ran to the body, but at first I was held back by one of the Paramedics but the Principal said they should let me.

I uncovered his face. As the rumor said, it was Nathan. Nathan had a smile on. The smile was beautiful, his eyes were shut, his face and hair soaked in blood and traces of dry blood.

"Nathan get up.............. Dude get up, how about you take some grapes." I cried as I hugged his body to mine. Grapes made us best friends. I could never believe I would have a best friend, but I lost him, I let him slip out my hands.

I would have been scared of being videoed but phones aren't allowed.

At this point, the atmosphere was tense; some students and staff stood, some cried,while the Paramedics bowed their heads.

I called his name repeatedly like I wanted to wake him up from a sleep. It reminded me of the time that I always had to wake him up to read or for class.

My white shirt was stained with blood as well as my dark green trousers.

A paramedic walked over to me, tapped me . I knew it was time to say goodbye but no......

I realized that anyone can go,so value them now. If what they said is true, that Nathan committed suicide if we didn't argue that day.

The paramedic covered Andrew and pushed him inside the Ambulance. I followed as well as one of our teacher. I could hear the Principal order one of the lecturer to call his mum.

In the Ambulance, one of the paramedic kept preaching about life and death. I wanted to listen at the same time I was thinking about the argument that happened in the morning. That was not an excuse for someone to commit suicide? We had worse arguments and this didn't happen.

I couldn't believe my best friend was gone. I remembered the time we promised to hold our wedding the same day so we will be each other's best man and the Groom. I can only remember, there is no more memory to make.

We got to the hospital, the preacher stopped, dragged out the body. They said they wanted to take an autopsy. I wasn't allowed into the room they told his body to.

I sat in the chair, looked at my hands covered in my best friend's blood, there I knew I killed my best friend. I couldn't hold back the tears from falling.

At the hospital, some where crying, some laughing, some hoping, everyone with different deep feelings. I realized I had the urge to jump off the roof.

I went to the bathroom, removed my syringe from my pocket then injected the stuff into my body. That was what Nathan hated the most. At this point I felt calm, though I broke a promise.

I didn't clean the blood on my hands because I was in such an hurry to see if they would call me.

I got out, I met his Mum running in. She was covered in sweat and tears, her face was red and swollen. I felt her pain. When she saw me, she hugged me not minding the blood of her son on my shirt.

" GOD understands......... My son your brother is gone but I believe you can survive, stay alive because of me. Please I have lost too much already." And Nathan's mum said the word that keeps me standing till date.

She was called in by a nurse. She was right she lost too much.

Another Nurse walked up to me and said; " we signed you up for therapy. It won't be stressful, every Friday after classes. This is very important. " she said and she left not interested in listening to my response, though I won't respond.

*** *** ***

Jane looked convinced after the whole story.

" The question I need the truth to is that, if someone here in this school writes letters to students to kill them and he doesn't, are we safe? " I asked Jane.

" The Principal is working on it." Jane answered innocently.

" I am so glad you think that." I replied. " I don't think the Principal is clean." I added.

" Why did you say that?" She asked and this proves she knows nothing about the Principal.

The day of Nathan's burial, the man offered to sleep with the widow who lost her only son.
An investigation was being carried out but they were told to stop.

"About the investigation, I found a book a I will show you later, when we meet. Okay let me head back to my hall so I can prepare for the day." She concluded.

"Sure let me walk you down." I offered.

"Nope, you are always busy, you have to get to the cafeteria before 8:30 am." The response she gave convinced me that she had be monitoring me.

" I thought you said you are not a stalker?" I asked as we walked down to her hall.

" I didn't say so." She said giggling..

" Ohhhhh I must have been having a weird dream of being stalked by a short girl." I teased.

Soon we got to her hall. I would say that it was quite fun talking to Jane. Everyone said she is a 4 out of a 10 but I think they are wrong. She's a 2. Not bad.

Now my day is about to start, I still miss my best friend. I watched Jane entered, she turned back and waved. Her wave reminded me of Nathan, at this point I couldn't just hold the tears from not falling anymore.

I hope you loved these chapters. Please don't forget to vote, comment and share to your friends. Also if you have what you wanted to add, please let me know 🫂❤️