Chapter Eight

Once we pull up to the restaurant I see Felix's truck. Meaning that they are already here. We walk inside to a nice restaurant. The place is dim and there weren't a lot of windows. That's normally how you could tell if a place was nice.

  The only thing keeping the place lit were dimly lit fake candles. We get to the front desk and see a lady in a suit and tie, her black hair is slicked into a low ponytail. She's about Jess's height.

  "How may I help you?" She asks.

  "We are here with my husband. They should already be here. Felix Denver?" Sharon says.

  "Right this way ma'am," the lady says.

  We all follow her into the dining room. We get to the table and we sit down. I end up being seated with Becky on my right and Sharon on my left. Becky is next to Addison and Addison with John. Sharon next to Felix and Felix next to Tom and so forth.

  I decide that today would not be a good time to bring everything up. So I just sit there and twiddle my thumbs.
  "So how was shopping lady's?" Felix asks, holding his wife's hand.

  "Good, we found the perfect dress and amazing bridesmaid dresses," Sharon responds. 

  "Wonderful," Felix replies. Eventually we order and start to eat. First comes the appetizer, then the salad, then the soup, then the main meal. Unlike everyone else, I just got a salad and some chicken. Not being hungry and not used to this kind of food.

  "Have you two planned a date yet?" Becky asks with steak in her mouth.

  "We're thinking of October. We've already been engaged for a year and six months," Addison answers. Of course they didn't tell me. Why would they?

  "Now John, will you move to L.A. with the rest of your family?" Becky asks again.

  "We're not quite sure yet," John answers. He takes Addison's hand and starts to rub circles on the back of her hand with his thumb.

  "And what about you Mace? When will you be shipped out again?" I really REALLY hate this woman.

  "I don't think I'm going back," I tell her.

  "Why not? I thought you loved it there? The fact that you're not with your family. I mean you must not have really loved them if you left them for ten years? Besides, you never really called them or checked in. They took you in and helped you. It just doesn't make sense why you would leave them," She says.

  "That's not true," Is all I say. I do love them, it was just. Complicated to say the least.

  "Well it does feel that way," she adds.

  "Umm how's the food tasting everyone?" Felix says, trying to change the subject. I look over to him and nod my head in a thank you manner.

  "I think I'm ready for dessert," Monica adds. I just sit there for the rest of the time being, not saying a word. Becky kept making hints to me about being a killer, or a person that hates their family.

  Once we are done with lunch we head over to the nail salon. Everyone is talking and caring on about their life as we're walking over. I decide though that my time with them is over due.

  "I'm heading home," I tell everyone.

  "Oh come on! It'll be fun," Monica whines. I can tell that she wanted me there, but other then her. No one cared if I left.

  "Next time," I say. I turn around and make my way in the direction that home was. It was about a fifteen minute drive into the city from where we lived. So it's not like it was that long of a walk. Only problem though is that we're now in the Center City.

  So it's about a 10 mile run. So I start the hike back home. After about an hour and a half, I'm home and drenched in sweat. 

  I head into the kitchen and go to the fridge to grab a beer. Hoping that it will calm me. But as soon as that thought came in my head I put it back and threw out the pack of cigarettes. Not wanting to be the typical after war soldier that becomes a drunk and dishonors their country. I hate those people.

  Instead I grab a water bottle and chug it. I go into Addison's room so I could use her computer. Once I get in I log into the computer and open up a new tab. I look up General Hassan.

  A picture of him comes up. He's wearing his green uniform and has multiple medals on his chest. His dark brown hair is neatly slicked back and his almost black eyes stare into the camera. I find a page on him so I can get more information. As I click on it it tells me that it's not available.

  "Great," I whisper underneath my breath. After about five minutes I'm able to get into the website. I scroll down and it reads: General Hassan is awarded top general from the president of Iran. The president of Iran and him have become close and are now working side by side to help make the country a better place for everyone.

  In other words, he was the president's right hand man. This also meant that he is in charge of the president and that he controls the military. But other than that, I have no new information. I keep on looking, then I hear the door open. I quickly log out of the computer and erase the browser history along with all the tabs. Making it just the way it was when I found it. I close the laptop and leave the room.

  As I get to the open stairway I see everyone flood in. I go to my room and take a shower. As cold as it goes. I wash all the sweat off of me and hop out not long after. Once I get out, I go to my dresser and pick out my training cargo pants that I would always wear. They're green camo with amazing pockets. Before I can get a shirt on, my door opens.

  I quickly look to see Monica. "Oh my gosh," she whispers. She brings her hands to her mouth. I look to where her eyes are directed. Their gaze is at the claw marks and all the other scars I have on my abdomen.

  "What happened?" She asks, walking towards me. She goes to touch the three long marks, but I quickly pull away and cover it up with a shirt.

  "It's nothing," I cut her off.

  "That's not nothing," she protests. Then Sharon comes into my room.

  "How did you get home?" Asks Sharon.

  "Ran."

  "Well we'll be having some people over later. So I want you to look nice," Sharon tells me.

  "Will do," then she leaves.

  "You're not going to tell mom?" Monica asks.

  "No, and neither will you. It's fine and healed," I tell her. "Ok now go get ready for the party," I tell her. Practically pushing her out of my room.

  "Oh and if you say a word I'll eat all your pop tarts," I tell her. Then she leaves. Once she's gone I close my door and let out a sigh. And now there's going to be a bunch of people in the house. Lovely.