Chapter twenty four

Come morning, I quickly get dressed. My army cargo pants, and a black shirt, along with my black cargo boots. I grab my knife and wrap it around my belt. Then I grab my gun and tuck it in my pants and cover it with my shirt.

  I head down stairs, it's about 6:30. No ones up yet, they won't be for a while. On Saturdays they normally sleep in till 9-9:30. I grab a piece of paper and a pen. I walk over to the kitchen island and slump over and I start to write them a note.

  The note reads, 'Hello family. Last night will be the last time you will ever see me. I have been called back into the military. It's not with General Logan, so don't ask him. He doesn't know. Go to Dr.Miller at 2:30 on Monday, she will tell you everything that you need to know. I'm sorry that I'm leaving you like this. Addison and John, I wish you two the best of luck. Last thing, bring Tiffany with you to Dr.Miller. Thanks for being my family,
Love,
Mace Denver.'

  Once I'm done writing it, I can't help but have a tear fall. I don't want to do this, yet, I can't watch my family die. What kind of person would that make me then? I would be a real killer. As I'm walking out I grab the keys to Jess's red convertible Corvette and I make my way into the city.

  The drive there feels still. I know that I'm going to hate and regret everything that's going to happen. But it will all be worth it. As long as my family is safe, it will all be ok.

  I pull up to the building and walk inside to the front desk. As I walk in, no one is at the front desk so I make my way to the elevator and up to Dr.Miller's room.

  I walk up to her door and knock. I hear someone get up and turn the handle. "I apologize for this," I tell her. This isn't fair to her. "But I really appreciate it," I add.

  "Of course, come on in and have a seat," she welcomes. I walk in and take a seat on the couch.

  "Did you get my text message?" I ask her.

  "I did. It was my day off so I didn't have to worry about canceling anything," she answers. I nod my head. "Let's begin, shall we?"

  "Where do I start?" I sigh.

  "Let's start at the beginning. I think that would be a good place."

  "Well, I suppose it starts with my father. I don't know what drove him mad. It could be the alcohol, or the fact that he worked at a shitty job. He became an Alcoholic and abusive towards my mother and I. One night when I was eleven, it went too far. He had shot my mother."

  "I thought you said she died of cancer?" She asks confused.

  "No. It was my fault. I had spoken out of terms. My mother was trying to save me. But in the process she got shot. To be honest, I don't remember exactly how it happened. But I do remember holding my mothers lifeless body in my arms. My father was going to kill me then and there, but the next door neighbor to the right of us came in and tackled him to the ground and called nine-one-one."

  "The Denvers had taken me in. I don't know why, but they did. Living with them was hard. The expectations were high. I was a girl that lived on the streets of the city, while they lived on their own little property. I decided to join the military the moment I turned eighteen."

  "Why? Why did you join the military?" She asks.

  "I didn't know what to do with my life. I didn't want to end up like everyone else. Maybe too, I had a death wish. I didn't care whether I lived or died. Apparently though, I was better than I thought. I was placed into special forces for the marine corps. My teammates became my family. We went through hell and back together. There were twenty seven of us."