Chapter sixteen

Eventually, I end up waking up. I feel like shit.

  "Good morning Mace. Did you sleep well?" I look over to my left and see Tom.

  "How long was I out for?" I ask.

  "Three days. When was the last time you slept?" He questions.

  "I can't remember," I tell him.

  "Are you hungry?" He asks getting up from his chair.

  "No," I simply say. 

  Tom sits back down and goes on his phone. I can hear him texting and the little clicks that follow.

  "Who are you talking to?" I ask.

  "I'm letting everyone know that you're up. Me and Jess were on duty for today. The doctors weren't sure when you were going to wake up. The first day was Mom and Dad. Then Monica, John, and Add. And me and Jess today," he tells me.

  Suddenly Jess walks into the room, and behind her are two people. The first one behind her is a woman. She's 5'3, has long brown hair, and she seems to be pregnant. But the man that follows her is someone I thought I'd never see again.

  Immediately a smile crawls onto my face. It's Jackson. He's in a wheelchair, yet he still has the same flaming red hair and bright green eyes. I can feel my jaw drop and my eyes widen.

  "Jackson?" I barely get out.

  "Hello Major," he says with the same smile on his face. I imminently return the smile.

  "Hi Private Cooper," I say, saluting him. He salutes back and then we both ease up at the same time.

  "Mace, I want you to meet my wife, Sarah," he introduces and takes her hand.

  "Hello Mrs. Cooper. Congratulations on the baby," I tell her. Then she just runs up and hugs me. I wince in pain but suck it up.

  "Thank you, thank you so so much," she cries into my shoulder. "Thank you for saving him," she sobs.

  She pulls away and wipes away a tear from her eye. "I'm sorry. I'll let you two catch up," she says and then leaves with Tom and Jess. Now just leaving me and Jackson.

  "Why did you tell her I saved you?" I ask him, not looking away from my now trembling hands.

  "You did though, and you have. They were going to kill me, but ordered them to take you," he explains.

  "But I didn't save you. And-and your legs," I say in a shaky voice.

  "They're fine. The doctors say that I'll be able to walk again. They say it will take a year or two. Do to the tissue and muscle damage. But I'll be able to keep up with my little boy," he remarks. I just shake my head in disbelief.

  "With how young you are you were always putting your team in front of yourself. You have saved me and," then he pauses. We both know that he was going to say the boys or team, but he stopped himself.

  "How are you dealing with all of that?" He asks. I look at him and then quickly look back down to my hands. I then touch the back of my neck and trace over the branding that Hassan gave me. Jackson then hoists himself up on the bed and takes my hand away from my neck.

  "He's gone now Mace. He can't hurt you anymore," Jackson tries to reassure me. But it does nothing. "So how did you get in here anyway?" He asks. I just shake my head and hang it. How do I tell him the truth?

  "He. He's, uhh, he's alive," I utter. I look at him and I can see the color of his face drain.

  "Wha-what do yo-you mean?" He stutters in disbelief.