Chapter twenty three

After all the different interviews and the doctors patching me up, we were finally able to leave the place and head back to our house. I knew Hassan wasn't going to strike again. Not tonight at least.

  By the time we had gotten home, it was 11:30 at night. We walked in and everyone was standing there, waiting for us. Addison rushes over to John and hugs him. Tom, Jess, and Monica both go to Sharon and Felix. I go to head to my room, but Addison stops me.

  "Mace, wait," she demands.

  Not even bothering to turn around I ask her what she wants. I needed to think this all over. I needed to find the best strategy.

  "Just, come be with us," she says.

  "I can't. I have work I need to get done."

  I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to face Addison. I can feel tears start to well up in my eyes. I look down to my hands which are covered in blood.

  "I need to get work done. People are dead and I need to fix that," I tell her. I turn around and make my way up to my room. I know that they have questions, like why am I putting this on myself? Or why does it matter so much? Or why do I look like shit?

  My question is, what did Hassan put in me that he can just shock me by the push of a button? How is it that he wants me? He never let me die. I've come close to death multiple times, but I've never died. He wants me, but I don't know why. Not yet at least.

  Once I'm in my room, I close the door and pull out my phone. I don't have a lot of options here. Even if I were to make a team to protect my family, he has the entire Iran government on his side.

  I dial the number that he had used to call me only hours before. I listen to the dial, waiting for someone to pick up and answer. Eventually, he does.

  "Have you made up your mind now?" Hassan asks. I take a deep breath and sigh.

  "Yes. I will be working for you sir. I only ask that you give me one more day with my family so I can say goodbye." I listen to him think for a moment before he confirms that that would be ok.

  "Fine. I will have someone pick you up on Saturday one p.m. sharp."

  "Thank you sir." I hang up and throw my phone on the bed. I go to my dresser and open up the top drawer. I push the bra's and underwear to the side and grab my pack of cigarettes. I pull one out and light it.

  I take a puff and then let out the smoke. I grab some clothes and hop into the shower. I needed to get all the blood off of me.

  Once I get into the shower I take what I presume to be the last hot shower I will ever take. It takes me about ten minutes to get all the blood off of me. Once it's all off I hop out of the shower and get dressed.

  By this point, the cigarette is done. I open up my window and climb out to the roof. There I take out another cigarette and light it. I lay there for a while, trying to think of the best way to spend my last day. Maybe the finest bourbon and the best sagar known to mankind.

  But I suppose that would be selfish of me. "This fucking sucks," I sigh. I tap the cigarette and place it down next to me. I place my hands behind my head and lay down with my legs crossed.

  I'll take my family out. I'll take them out for a hike, then I'll take them shopping and we'll end with a nice steak dinner. This could be the last time that I could ever see them again. I have to make it count.

  It's a shame really. I was just starting to like my life. I was starting to like Addison and John. I've always had a mutual relationship with Felix, so I will miss him. But I think I'll miss Tom the most. Even Gael. When I saw him at the party, I was reminded of how much I loved him. Everything about him. His smile, the way he wore his fathers hat. Those damn eyes.