Chapter Fourteen

It's been about five weeks. I'm tired, hurt, and I can't tell what's real and what isn't anymore. It's all just blurred together. They've drugged me, beaten me to a pulp, interrogated me, and used every torture method known to man kind.

  I'm currently hanging in my cell, awaiting the next beating. My hair is stuck to my face by sweat and blood. My hair was knotted and a mess. I had blood pouring out of my lip and a gash on the side of my forehead. I didn't know how much longer I had.

  The thing though, is that Hassan wouldn't let me die. He would do whatever it took to keep me alive. I've been trying to figure out why it was me that he's kept alive. But I can't seem to wrap my finger around it.

  Last week they introduced me to a form of electric shock therapy. We were at it for five hours. I was on the verge of death, until they stopped right before my heart gave out. And every day since then, it's been anywhere from two to eight hours. I'm starting to give up hope, but even if I do I will never break. Not to this piece of human shit.

  They've also tried all kinds of drugs and they even got me close to not being able to remember my name. I overheard them talking about some kind of project. Unfortunately I was too out of it to know whether it was real, in my head, or just never happened. My concept of time is completely lost by this point.

  One of the taller guys opens up the door and walks in. He was a doctor. He had on a white coat with nice black dress shoes.

  "How are we today little butterfly?" He asks. I hate that. They've been calling me that and it's starting to annoy me. "What should we start with today?" He asks touching his chin. "Oh silly me, it's 14:30! You know what that means?" He's too happy about this. Also too, I don't have enough coffee to give two rats ass. So, I just roll my eyes, not even caring at this point.

  Every day at 2:30, I take these drugs, and then I basically get shocked until I start bleeding from my nose and ears. I've already tried to leave three times and each time it's like when a dog steps over the electric fence. They get shocked.

  Once he gets me down from the ceiling, the doctor and five other guards escort me to the hospital room. I have my arms wrapped around the two guards, basically relying on him. My feet drag behind me, and no matter how hard I try to walk. I can't.

  Besides all the beating, whenever I walk my legs give out and my vision will blur and start to feel dizzy and fatigue. Either from the drugs, blood loss, lack of food and liquids, or lack of sleep.

  Once he sets me on the table it's the same as it's been since I've gotten here. They drug me, hook me up to wires and shock me. Once I'm strapped down, I have a needle go through my neck, left arm, right shoulder, and the worse one. Threw my eye, right to the brain. I can't help but scream every time with that one.

  After they all start kicking in they start up the electrical charges. I brace myself as it's about to start. Then shocks of electricity start running through me. I let out an agonizing scream. Between the drugs and the shocks, it's like I'm in a living hell.

  It feels like my body is on fire and no matter how much I scream and try to focus my attention somewhere else, it doesn't work. It just gets worse, and worse, and worse.

  Out of nowhere the electricity stops, but the pain doesn't. My breaths are shaky, ragged, and short. It feels like every ligament and fragment of my body is being torn apart and on fire.

  "Mace, you're ok. You're going home. You're going to be ok. Just stay with me." I look up and I see General Logan.

  "You're n-not re-real," I say in between my breaths. It's all just part of the drugs. He's just trying to get to me.

  "Listen to me, It's me Logan. You're the only person to ever survive my training without throwing up even once. Sergeant Tank! Undo her restraints," the general says. I look over and see someone new. Maybe this is real. The brain can't make up new faces.

  "General?" I ask shakily. No, how could that be? Maybe he really did come.

  "That's right. We're going to get you out of here and back to your family," he reassures me. Family? The Denvers, they're gonna be so pissed. General Logan helps me up off of the table and instantly my legs give out.

  "Whoah, I've got ya," he says catching me. My head is pounding and my heart is racing. I feel weak. He throws my arm over his shoulder and I try to move my legs. Only problem is that I'm paralyzed from the waist down. My head feels like mush and the entire room around me is spinning. Making me want to throw up.

  As we're going through the halls Logan shoots multiple people as we try to escape. My feet are dragging, even though I'm trying to pick them up.

  "Come on Mace, just hold on," he declares. But as we're running that's when the visions start back up.

  As we're running I see Danny. He was my brother. We go to turn the corner and he's standing right there. "Danny?" I squeak out.

  "Hold it together Mace. We're almost there," Logan says.

  "Leaving? Like you left me? Like you left Mom?"

  "No," I barely get out. My voice was horse and broken due to the screaming.

  "You're running. This is what you were meant to be. Killed like I was. Like your teammates were," he adds.

  "I didn't mean to," I tell him.

  "Mace?" I hear General Logan say, but I never take my eyes off of Danny.

  "You know this is all your fault," I hear my mother say. "You left us to die. Why should you live if we didn't," I she adds.

  "Shut up. You're not real," I try to convince myself. I feel myself come to a stop and I can see General Logan's face come into view.

  "Mace, look at me," Logan commands. But when I look at him it looks like his face is melting and all around him are the dead bodies of my troops. I close my eyes as tight as I can and I grab my head. I let out a huff and my heart starts to beat faster.

  "Something's wrong with Mace! I need medics now!" I hear Logan yell but it sounds distorted.

  "Not real," I repeat over and over again.

  Everything sounds so loud.

  "We don't have time for this," I hear a voice say. I can't seem to find the defenders between the voices anymore. I feel a pair of arms pick me up and carry me. My eyes are open but it's not like I'm even there. It's like I'm watching a movie through my mind.

  Everyone is trying to kill me. Everyone's screaming at me, telling me that I'm not worth it. That it should have been me. Suddenly I hear a voice.

  "What did you do to her?" I hear a man bark. 

  "I thought you people were supposed to be smart? Besides, you don't have time to interrogate me. She doesn't have much time." Weirdly though, I am able to tell that that's Hassan's voice.

  "How do I help her, you bastard?"

  "Get her to the medics, they'll know what to do."

  "Hold on Mace, I'm getting you help."

  "Stay awake Mace!" I look up to see Logan. His face though. It's not right. It's distorted and disfigured. I look away and try to get out of the general grasp. But I can't.

  Eventually, my vision goes out. I can hear people yelling but I can't quite make out what they're saying. Then I get a shooting pain in my chest. And then, it all goes black.