8: Her.

"When you're all alone,
I'll reach for you.
When you're feelin' low
I'll be there too."
~Apocalypse, Cigarettes After Sex.  

Calvin Arthur Richards

the same night
It was 2 am when I woke up from my slumber, feeling thirsty. I groan softly getting out of the bed. I rub my eyes as I looked at the empty bottle of water in my nightstand. Shit, I forgot to fill it---the first thing that came into my mind.

you are forgetful.

Shut up.

I heaved a sigh and went downstairs. Unknowingly, my eyes went towards our study. The lights were on---she was still working. I went to the kitchen and filled my bottle with the water. After I had quenched my thirst, I make my steps towards our study.

I opened the door with a soft click to check on her, my wife. A small smile crept on my face as I shook my head at seeing her sleeping figure, lying her head on her chair with her cushion and a plushie in her grasp. I went to her and slowly lifted her small hands to get the cushion out of her grasp. She stirred a little, but I successfully took the pillow from her.

I looked at those documents and her PPT in the laptop. It was completed, just needed a little review. I looked at her snoring softly as a little drool was coming out of her mouth. I chuckled softly, not disturbing her.

I picked her in bridal style carefully, not disturbing her. Her fragile figure squirmed under my touch as one of my hands slipped under her legs and another near her arms, as I picked her up. She stirred in her sleep, but soon nuzzled up her nose in my chest. I tried to control a smile, but it was hard to do so. I entered her room and gently laid her down in bed. She stirred up in her sleep as I tucked her to bed.

Cute. I thought to myself.

I stood there for a while, admiring her face from near, for the first time. Her long eyelashes falling over the curve of her cheeks. Little freckles on her cheeks and nose; a pink pigment on her cheeks that were natural; all complimenting her fair skin. Her button nose, a little one, which looked too cute, tempting me to peck them. Her plump lips perfectly glossed, making it shine, raising that same feeling inside my body. I could feel the heat running through my cheeks, making them crimson. Her eyes were closed as she was sleeping, or else the lines of admiration would have been a page long. She didn't need any makeup, just her natural features were enough to make a sane man fall head over heels for her. 

She didn't change, not even a bit.

Her chest rising up and down as she breathed. Her soft and small figure made me feel something; it has always, to be certain. A strand of her brown hair falling on her face blocking my view. I make my way towards her, and my index finger trails upon her cheeks, tugging the loose strand behind her ear. I smiled softly and stepped away slowly. I went to the door and closed it with a soft click, not to disturb her.