Lightning Thief: Prologue - The Winter Solstice

Annabeth: Your dad must have been a pro or something in chess. How come we've been playing against each other for almost 2 years now and I still can't beat you? You even pulled out a scholar's mate out of nowhere.

Kiyotaka: Since you didn't expect it and we were playing with timed turns, it'd make sense to lose focus enough. It did end a bit too quickly.

Annabeth: Then set up the board again for another round. We're going until I beat you.

Kiyotaka: Looks like your pride won't allow defeat.

Outside, on the base of a tree trunk turned into a table amongst the overgrown wilderness, Kiyotaka and Annabeth enjoyed a friendly and well-spirited chess match. It had been going on for some time with no disturbance, probably because the camp was empty save for a couple of children.

Annabeth: So, what's going on with Luke these days?

Kiyotaka pretended to be surprised at her response, but it still came off in his usual poker face.

Kiyotaka: I don't know what you're talking about. Anything specific?

Annabeth: He's been very distant. Like I asked him to help me work on my knife skills the other day and he just ignored me. And he spends most of his time alone in his cabin. The only person he talks to these days are you, so I'm... just worried.

Kiyotaka: It's a bit too personal to divulge all of the information but it has to do with his mother. He didn't take it well. And it doesn't help that Hermes doesn't answer his prayers. Give him some space. Since he's gone on that camp field trip to Olympus, maybe he'll come back to his senses.

Annabeth: I can't believe Mr. Sunshine only let the older campers go...

Kiyotaka: They are going to represent the camp at the meeting of all the gods in Olympus during the Winter Solstice. Of course, they'd want to take the more mature campers and leave us here. At least everything's so quiet-

Piper: KIYO! WHERE ARE YOU?!

Annabeth: Hm? Why's she looking for you? I thought you said she was playing hide and seek with Connor and Travis?

Kiyotaka sighed.

Kiyotaka: Those two are actually sleeping in for today. With no one else to play with aside from Clarisse who hates everyone, I said I'd go hide and she seek. But it's really boring and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Annabeth: I'm your backup plan or something?

Kiyotaka: Playing chess is more entertaining than hide and seek. It's not her, it's me. The game isn't fun when one of your skills entirely rests on stealth.

Annabeth groaned.

Annabeth: You can't have her just running around looking for you. You're just being a jerk.

Kiyotaka rolled his eyes and got up from his wooden seat.

Kiyotaka: I guess you're right. Mind cleaning up after me here?

Annabeth smiled.

Annabeth: I don't mind but you're gonna make a glyph for me later.

Kiyotaka: What do you need it for?

Annabeth: I need to set Connor's butt on fire without him using water to extinguish it. That'll teach him for putting a tarantula he found in the woods underneath my bed.

Kiyotaka: I thought he got his punishment already. He came into our cabin last night with a face swollen like a zit full of pus.

Annabeth grinned.