20

Ariella Anna Accardi

I wake up to the sound of the water running in the bathroom. Luciano must be having a shower. After last night, I don't even know if I have the courage to face him. I get out of bed.

While he is in the shower, I might as well make the bed. I spread the bed and arrange the pillows how I found them yesterday when we arrived.

Luciano comes out of the bathroom in a towel. His hair is wet. He looks so hot.

"Morning, wifey," he greets.

"Morning," I respond.

He goes into the closet. Minutes go by before he comes out wearing a suit.

He goes back into the bathroom. When he comes out, his hair is dry.

"I'm leaving for a meeting. I'll be back later," he says before leaving the room.

I go into the bathroom. It smells like his expensive perfume. Not that I'm complaining.

Luciano Rey Delgado

I head downstairs, where I find Bruno waiting for me. We're attending a meeting together today.

Exiting the house, a sleek limo awaits us. We settle into the plush seats as the driver whisks us away.

The meeting is at a smaller company, but the importance of our presence isn't diminished.

The meeting concludes, and we retreat to the limo for the journey home. As we travel, my phone buzzes with an urgent call from Rafael.

"What?" I answer sharply.

"Luciano, there's trouble. Carlos has struck again, stealing from our warehouse and leaving a message," Rafael informs me.

"How much?" I ask.

"$1.2 million worth of shipments," Rafael says.

"And the message?" I press.

"He had his men spray paint 'I'm coming for her' on one of your walls," Rafael tells me.

A sinking feeling settles in my gut.

Ariella...

I end the call, the weight of the situation pressing down on me. Before it's too late, I need to confront her about what happened between her and Carlos.

I hang up when annoyance overwhelms me.

Ariella Anna Accardi

I'm seated on the bed, scrolling on my phone when the door flies open.

"Why is Carlos coming for you?" Luciano questions, shutting the door behind him.

C..c..coming f..f..for m..m.me?

"Huh?"

"Why is Carlos coming for you?" He repeats.

"What?".."Oh come on Ariella, don't act dumb, I know something happened between you and him, just tell me," he says.

Luciano can't find out what happened to me. He just can't.

"Tell me," he says, and I turn to look the other way.

"Ariella, look at me," his voice becomes louder.

"I said fucking look at me," I feel him grab onto my arm and pull me, forcing me to look at him.

"What the fuck happened between you and Carlos?" He questions.

"Nothing," I respond.

"Then why do he and his men keep saying they are coming for you? What could he possibly want from you if nothing happened between you two?" he says.

"Did you sleep with him?" He questions.

What the fuck!? How can he ask me such an outrageous question?

"No, I didn't fucking sleep with him," his question makes me reminisce on the times when Carlos would try to force himself on me.

"Then tell me what fucking happened," he says.

He has no right.
No right to fucking ask me this.
No right to be talking to me like this.

"No," I say.

"Ariella," he squeezes my arm.

"I said no," I stand up.

"We're leaving for Madrid first thing tomorrow morning," he says. "I'm giving you 42 hours to tell me what the fuck happened between you two or else," he says, storming out of the room.

Is he fucking threatening me?!
I'm not obligated to fucking tell him my past.

What could Carlos possibly be planning?

I honestly can't help but feel a bit scared.

*****

Luciano hasn't said a word to me since last night. He just woke up early, had a shower, and went downstairs with his suitcase.

I finish getting ready and pull my small suitcase out of the room, making my way downstairs.

"Morning," I greet Vicky, Ruben, and Sofia, my companions from yesterday.

"Morning," they all reply.

"How'd you sleep with your husband?" Ruben teases, always finding humor in my marriage to Luciano.

"Good," I roll my eyes, and Vicky and Sofia chuckle.

"Speaking of which, where is that husband of mine?" I question sarcastically.

"He's outside talking to the guys who take care of their house while we're all in Madrid," Ruben informs me.

Mhm.

"You should probably take your bag to Luciano's car," Sofia suggests, eyeing my small suitcase.

"Yeah," I agree, dragging it to the front door before pulling it open and stepping out.

I spot Luciano by his Mercedes and make my way over.

When he sees me, he walks to the back of his Mercedes, opens the trunk, and lifts my suitcase before putting it in and shutting the trunk.

"Let's go," he says before entering the car.

And I follow suit, entering the car. He drives out of the yard, speeding with the windows open.

*****

The 3-hour, 50-minute drive back to Madrid was quiet and long, but finally, we have arrived.

Today, he didn't even bother stopping for any food.

"Get out," he says abruptly.

"What?" I say, caught off guard.

"Get out of the car. I have somewhere I need to be," he repeats, his tone clipped.

He's just going to leave...

I open the door and step out of the car, watching as he reverses out of the yard.

I walk to the front door, where I don't bother knocking and just step in.

I find Matilda cooking in the kitchen. "Ariella," she says once she sees me.

"Hey, Matilda," I say, "where is Luciano?" she asks.

"Didn't you come with him?" I reply.

"I did," I begin, "but he said he had to leave."

"Oh," she says, understanding.

"Why don't you take a seat and let me serve you some food?" she suggests.

I smile and walk over to the kitchen counter, taking a seat behind it.

After eating, I feel completely wiped out, so I immediately head upstairs to my room for some sleep.

Thanks.