Chapter Nine

DAMIAN'S P.O.V.

Ayomide's mansion.

At 7 o'clock, dinner was already prepared. Everyone excluding—

"Sorry, am late." I was going to say Dayo until he just showed up, settling on the chair opposite mine.

"I had to crosscheck some of the files I took with me home from the office." He began to explain without anyone asking him questions.

"And that had to leave a signature tattoo on your earlobe?"

My eyes and that of everyone else swept along the line mom's finger pointed at.

I hate one thing, and that is coming out of the bathroom with foams of bar soap clinging in my earlobe.

Dayo guylishly wiped it off without mumbling a word.

My eyes grazed the entire dish on the kingsize table after dad had blessed the food.

Precisely, we're Catholic.

Yam, fried eggs, chicken broth, noodles, stew, ewedu soup, amala, parboiled white basmati rice, grilled cow tail, catfish, pepper soup and ogbonor soup. That is doughcanut soup.

Fruits are watermelons, bananas and grapes.

Fluids?

Crushed cranberry for Sharon and red wine for the rest of us.

Countless times without numbers have I spoken with Adesua about making too much essence food for one square meal.

They will only end up getting disposed. Don't even think of microwaving leftovers because in this mansion, we only understand one language........

DUMP IT IN THE REFUGE BIN.

Except a food is being cooked instantly then it is advisable according to mom's order for it to be placed in the refrigerator immediately.

Now, tell me who will dig all these in one night? Is it my grandfather who's in the grave?

"Adesua," Dad called out loud the very moment I finished contemplating between amala and white rice. My cutlery almost slipped off my hands.

Another reason why I detest sitting next to him in the dinning room. He doesn't know how to control the pitch of his voice.

Adesua has already answered afar off from only God knows where she is but her presence is still? Absent in the dinning room.

"Bring the salt on your way here," Dad specified.

But before he even finished his last sentenced, "I'll go get it." My grumpy, arrogant, yet handsome and good-looking baby brother kiddo Darin, stood up to get the jar of salt from the kitchen and handed it to dad. I smell something burning in the air but am not too sure what it is or might be.

For good five seconds, dad spent it staring at his prodigal son as if he doesn't recognize him anymore.

To clear the awkwardness from the air, Darin choke it off with a fake smile.

A pretence, I guess. On his lips.

"Here," He opened the lid, "Or I'll just serve you a little instead." And sprinkled a bit of it in the soup.

I'll be lying if I said I wasn't shocked. Dad was stunned as if he has just seen a real life ghost. Eyes and mouth wide open like a very big WOW!

For fuck sake, this is the son that doesn't give a shit bout anybody born of a woman. No matter your age or who you are, he only cares about his career and the clubhouses. He even barely greets his elders in the morning but today, he is different. Completely. Different from every other days since I knew him.

Adesua only arrived few minutes after the shock has dissipated in the air.  "Chief," She bow curtly with another jar of salt.

All eyes on her now.

"What took you so long, Adesua?"

Instead of me to be eating, I choose to join the others in the show.

"You should have just died where you were than allowing my son do your duties." Dad added.

"Dad—"

"You haven't told me about this sudden change of yours." Interrupted Darin.

I guess Darin was trying to save up Adesua's ass.

Probably why?

Then back to Adesua, dad continued, "Good-looking dishes, well garnished in the eyes of the beholder, covered with delicious aromas but bad taste in the mouth."

Ouch!

I know my father is harsh anyway. And I turn thinking mom will save her up just like every other times — sometimes. It's just like both mom and dad are against her together.

I buried my focus on my plate just as Sharon and my eldest brother — Dayo did.

Dinner ended sarcastically.

I needed to know why Darin almost stood up for Adesua at dinner. So I went to his room.

Maybe am poke nosing.

After a few knocks on the door, he finally said, "Come in."

I strolled in quietly, shutting the door carefully like a thief, behind me.

He had already changed into his sweatpants pyjamas, shirtless and busy scrolling on his phone.

He looks as if he doesn't want any disturb and am here. He never bothered glancing my way to know who just entered.

This is not my room, but— "Can I sit?"

It took him two seconds before he said, "Yeah," Then he sat properly on the bed like he was ready for business.

I sat at the edge of the bed. We are almost wearing same pattern of pyjamas but different colors. The difference is that am not shirtless. I hate being shirtless sometimes.

I thought he was going to put his phone aside, but never mind, I knew he'll be listening.

"You know, you shouldn't have done that." I started. "It only triggered dad's bile in his stomach." I stopped. Rethinking what I just said.

Interesting. I guess.

Now he puts his phone aside and clasps his fingers. "I don't like how dad, mom and everyone treats Adesua in this mansion. I sincerely don't approve it." His face squeezed into a deep frown like an iron sponge.

I just stare at him for a while as if he talks before thinking. "When did you become this defensive?"  I don't believe this is my brother, defending a woman to start with. The same Darin I know.

Can someone please allocate my biological brother to me?

"How do you mean?" His brows scrunched.

I shrugged, "Obviously, we saw it all at dinner earlier. The way you suddenly became nice, taking the place of Adesua for a minute and also trying to defend her when father lashed out on her, do you have something for her?"

Did I speak facts?

Instantly, Darin stood up with a huge scowl on his face. "Capital letter 'NO' Are you kidding me right now Damian? She's just a—"

Beep! Beep!

His phone interrupted our conversation. After glancing at the caller ID, we both stare at each other's eyes in thick silent.