Chapter Fourteen

BUMMI’S P.O.V. 

Following week---tuesday morning, as you know, jobless as new. 

Mom and I are both in the kitchen making breakfast. She’s making Nifemi’s favourite (Egusi soup and eba) while on the other hand, am busy helping her make some chips----small chops, because she will be needing that later for a movie on netflix. 

My fingers are already aching from slicing too many ripe plantains into dice pieces. 

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and exhale a tiring breath. I wish Nifemi could assist with some help inside this burning hot room. 

But no, the naughty, lazy boy is too busy with his P.S again. Going to him to give him a knock triggers me. 

“What are you doing about getting a new job?” Mom caught me out of my stinky thoughts. 

Come to think of it, I haven’t been myself since the day I lost my job. 

It has been frustrating. Only God knows how we survive everyday. You won’t believe that these are the moments Nifemi consumes food more. 

I’ve almost spent everything in my bank account. If mom wasn’t a trader, I guess we would have gone bankrupt or turn debtors or maybe on the street begging by now. 

And I swear to God who made me, I’ll make sure that human being behind my loss of job pay’s darely for this. 

Thank God I didn’t lose my friend---Lola and Ojo. Those two have been by my side since we went jobless. Despite the fact I still think am the cause of them being jobless. 

“Mom, there’s no new update yet.” I say as I rinse another plantain before peeling. 

It looks like my speech interested her because now, she’s posing nonstop at me with one hand on her waist and the other edge of her hip leaning against the counter. 

“So? You are going to sit, arms crossed until you get a new update from only God knows when?” She crossed her arms. “Bummi, you know you can’t compare us with Lola and Ojo, you know that, right?” 

“Of course, I do.” for goodness sake. 

Sure thing Lola and Ojo are from rich and wealthy homes with excellent backgrounds. 

“Then do the right thing with your brain, Bummi.” How? She stated almost in a pissed off manner. I guess. “Kiloshele? {What is it?}” She provoked in yoruba accent. 

“Mom,” Am trying to calm her down because she has B.P popularly known as blood pressure. “We are not that poor, unable to feed three square meal so relax.” 

“Haven’t I relaxed enough? To see my graduated and educated daughter go jobless for almost two weeks? Yes it’s been two weeks or a week plus since you lost your job and it seem like you are not doing anything about it.” 

I rolled off my eyes. “You know am trying my best, mom. Am not lazy.” 

Seems like she’s already calming down. She exhaled relieved and places a hand on my shoulder. 

“Am counting on you and am not calling you lazy, hmm? The thing is, am not always happy to see you home everyday---jobless whenever I return. Think of it, I know getting a job in this lagos is not easy, so I suggest we move back to ekiti and do your handwork there.” 

“What!!!” Eyes poked wide open. 

“Yes, my daughter. You are not lazy. Remember you went to a vocational school----a technical school during your secondary school days? You can keep yourself busy with that. I don’t mind moving my business back there------” 

“Mom, as a makeup artist and hairstylist----beautician? Hell no!” Is mom thinking upsidedown or straight? 

Some one please call a doctor to check her temprature, sugar level and blood pressure because I don’t think she’s alright from the way I study her. 

As if she’s fed up of the discussion, she shrugged facing the thing she was cooking. She said, “You know? That is what majority of our youths do these days. I heard handwork in a week can get you a pay of over a salary of a month. So my dear, think about it.” 

There’s absolutely nothing to think about, mom. Absolutely………………..

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

All I want is to get my job back. I am a journalist and not an ordinary beautician. 

My phone beeped from the counter afar. I went to check……..

It was a group letschat message from my two buddies.

“HAS HE REPLIED YET?” 

I typed back, “NOT YET.” 

They instantly responded with one text in unision, “OKAY.”