Chapter Twenty-three

“I thought you said you had a business appointment in sicilian, Italy?” 

Dariin settled on an empty chair across the desk and place a coffee mug on the desk---right in front of her. “Actually,” He leaned back, placing one ankle on the other knee. “I still have unfinished meetings here in Naija to clean up first, probably this weekend, I’ll be out of the country.” 

Ronke still not taking her eyes off the files she was signing, said, “Because I was suprised you came to see me in the office today. Besides, you barely come here. I think this is the second time since you were born.” She looks around, “And why are you the one bringing my coffee? Where is that-----” 

“Mom, I sent her on an errand.” Darin covers up for Adesua. Wow, but since when did he start sending her on an errand? The truth is……..Adesua is somewhere around in the building, waiting for him. “And I don’t like how you order her around like a pupet.” 

Ronke chuckled wryly, rolling her eyes as she toss a file aside and picked up another. “As if it’s not part of her daily duties? Besides, you just said it yourself, ‘LIKE A PUPET.’ just like saying like a nobody---” 

Darin slammed the desk, almost spilling the coffee and causing a big shock to his mother who now gaze up at him with bug eyes as if looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith. “For the last time stop addressing her that way, Mother. For the love of God, she is human with so many potentials. Working for you is not her calling, so beat it!” 

For good twenty seconds, Ronke was finding it hard to replay what just entered her ears. 

Is it that there is something going on already that she doesn’t know? 

Well, it better not be because she’ll do something drastic. 

****************** 

@9:30PM, Ayomide’s Mansion………., 

Ronke sat across her vanity mirror, applying her night shades cosmetics on her face after a cold shower. 

The scene from the office earlier today still played in her head. She couldn’t adjoured it any longer. She needed someone to share it with and her husband was just in bed reading the opera mini news update in his samsung S-23 ultra. 

A bile grew in her stomach. She clenched unto the edges of the table and curse underneath her breath with her eyes not leaving the mirror, she called her husband, “Darling?” 

“Hmm?” He answered, still looking at his phone. 

“Have you been suspecting anything lately between our son Darin and that church rat----Adesua?” 

The old man was taken aback for a while by a recommended post in Phoenix, “Which Adesua are you talking about?” 

That question almost made Ronke pounce on him to tear him apart. “Do you have any other Adesua in this mansion?” She snapped. 

He lifted up his eyes before his face, giving her half attention. “Oh Adesua. So what happened to her?” 

Ronke fumed the more. It’s like her husband has not been paying attention to her words since. “Kunle, I think Darin has something to do with Adesua. I smell they are getting intimate.You need to really see how he defended her in the office today and how he served coffee in her place like the other day when he brought the jar of salt on her behalf.” She stated everything in a rush. 

Kunle stare at her for a while as if copying what she just said before adjusting his reading glasses. “Ronke, Darin is a man now. He has his own life to live. That once upon a time baby boy is now a full grown man to do whatever pleases him and to know good from evil. So, if you think he is dating Adesua or they has something in common….then let them share it, Kilode (What is it anyway).” 

“NEVER!!!!!!!!!” She retorted and slumped angrily on the bed. She back-faced her husband and pulled more of the duvet covers to herself. 

Kunle just stare down at her like looking into space.