Chapter fifteen

BUMMI’S P.O.V. 

So fast, so quick, it’s already been 18 months. If someone ask me, now within these months, what I’ve I been doing? 

Still jobless?

Well, apparently not. 

I sometimes help mom in her new shop---not too far from the house. You know? Just to save us from the stress of T-fare. 

As for my two lovey-dovey Lola and Ojo---- as you all know, born withthe silver spoon, they own a classy boutique that they both run together. 

A very well--known one in the town of lagos. 

Though they ask me to come join them but----TSK! 

Thanks, am good for some odd reasons. 

Today making it the 8th month of my stay back home, I didn’t go with mom to the shop. 

I decided to make today as my enviromental sanitation day. A day to clean up the junks in my house--file. 

Cleaning is part of my hobby. Cleaniness is next to Godliness. 

The house is totally covered in cowebs again. One of the things I hate seeing in the house. 

Mom should be good alone in the shop, she’s been managing the business before my assistant. 

With the help of my long brush, I finished removing the one’s in the rooms ceilings and back to the ones in the kitchen. 

I was doing that of the sitting when I suddenly heard my phone ringing. 

Maybe I didn’t remember the customize tone I set because it was just a text beep and not some miss calls. 

Placing the brush aside, I wiped the sweat off my forehead, took a deep breath, before stepping towards the center table where I kept it a while ago. 

I scrolled over and saw this………

‘HELLO STRANGER? DO YOU MIND IF WE TALK IN PERSON?’ 

FUCK ME! 

After 18 months, I finally got a feedback from him! 

This is not real! 

Mom would be so happy if I tell her that am getting close to get back my job. 

Am already at the doorstep. All I need is the key to get in and the key is right here. 

I feel my cheek burning hot as if am blushing…….. something like am getting a bit nervous. 

I think I should chat Lola and Ojo or just visit them right away in their shop. 

“It’s a lie.” Lola disagreed on the video call few minutes after seeing the message. 

“She is whining us again……” Ojo rolled his eyes. “She’s fond of doing that since the day we lost our jobs.” 

Whining keh? Emi, Bummi Ademola, whining? 

“Am fucking serious.” Okay, since they don’t believe me……..

I sent a screenshot and that shook them. With the look on their faces, I could tell. 

“What were you guys saying again? Whining?” I Scoffed. “This doesn’t look like a joke, right?” 

Instantly, they shook their heads vigoriously in unision ----- eyes and mouth wide open in shock. 

“Cut it out, guys.” Are they just going to remain dumb and waste my data subscription? “What do we do now?” Am glad Ojo is back to his senses 

“Good question!” I added. 

“Chat him up?” Lola suggested. 

***********

“Chat him up?” I snapped when mom suggested the same thing at dinner. “Are you kidding me?” 

“Kidding?” Nifemi passed the bowl of stew to his side. I know I didn’t ask him to speak. “What if he’s a rich guy? he might be useful here, you know.” He shrugged. His own side of suggestion. 

Only if you can sense the temperature of anger boiling inside of me. 

The urge of knocking his head with the stainless steel spoon on my hand, biled in my stomach. 

As if mom is omini--knowest, she quickly interfered. But to some extent, her statement wasn’t helping matters at all. 

“Is not as if am asking you to date him because you don’t know if he is a ritualist.” 

Ah! 

Dating? Egbami……..

Mami? 

I narrow my eyes, cross my arms as if am ready for busines. “So dear mommy, if he was a ritualist-----you do agree I DATE HIM?” huh?” 

She gave me the heavenwards demostration. “For crying out loud, Bummi, stop being sarcastic. All am saying is that you use this chance as an opportunity to get what you want. Your job, right?” When I nodded, she added. 

My tattletale----Nifemi, I mean, dropped his spoon, giving more concentration as if he was the one mom was talking to. “Get him to give you back your job by communicating with him.” 

Come to think of it. Mom is actually making sense here. 

After dinner, I settled on my bed, staring intently at the text while biting my lower lip as I thought of what to write back as a good response to draw his attention. 

I wanted to call Lola or Ojo but they might be sleeping at this hour, beside I want to do this by myself.

So no one but only me would take the credits later. 

Something entered my head like I caught a bulb in the air. I quickly wrote, “AM NOT A STRANGER. AM SOMEONE YOU KNOW. DO YOU MIND WHATSAPP FIRST?”