Chapter Thirteen

‘Ughh, my head huurrrts…’ You open your eyes and sit up. You look around and see the back of a woman with red hair wearing a nurse outfit. She turned to face you.

“Oh? You woke up? Are you feeling alright?” She strode closer to the bed you were resting on. She sits on the edge of the bed, her brooding red eye analysing you.

“I'm feeling okay, just a little headache.” You assured, but it wasn't a little headache. She hummed.

“If you say so. Dr. Smiley and Jack are talking about what to do with you. X-Virus told us that your head dropped clean off from your body but when we came it didn't look like it did?”

You cough awkwardly. You knew it had something to do with your immortality, but you never really understood it yourself. Even though you were born with the ability to never die, you couldn't figure a single thing about it. “I think my body heals? At least outside wounds do. I really don't know though. All I know is that the healing is pretty quick.” She nods, processing what you said.

“You're pretty interesting, yknow.” She stated out of nowhere.

“Uh, thanks? But what do you mean?” Ignoring your question completely, she took a surgical knife from a table nearby and put it against your forearm. You grabbed her hand before she could make any movement. “WHAT are you doing?”

“I'm testing something.” Without another word, she sliced a deep but tint cut into your arm. It stung. She waited a little, before grabbing some tissues and wiping the blood. Once she cleaned up the leakage of blood from your arm, she could see your wound slowly closing up. You rubbed the area after it fully closed up.

“What was that for? It still hurts.” You whine slightly. She hums, seeming to take a mental note.

“Keep resting. You need all the rest you can get.” She left the room before she explained any further.
Your body still aches.

(TW - SUICIDAL THEMES AND ABUSE. IF YOU FIND THIS TRIGGERING PLEASE KEEP SCROLLING UNTIL THIS SCENE FINISHES)

You thought back to your childhood. It was pretty harsh. Well, not as harsh as other people… you think?
Sure you jumped from family to family since every time you did something reckless, you were the only survivor. But other people had it worse, right?

It was weird to think how different you were. From when you were born till the ripe age of nine, you were happy. You always went out with your parents, your father said your mum died in childbirth but he was remarried by the time you gained awareness. Then at nine, everything felt different. Your dad seemed more on the edge. The noodle burning incident didn't make anything better.

That was probably the first time he ever laid his hands on you. He bought gifts as compensation, but you never got an apology.

He was just trying his best, you always told yourself, you loved him as a dad but as a daughter you couldn't help but hold anger and hate for him. It was all confusing.

The rest of your childhood was just disaster after disaster. Once you turned ten, you were at school and heard of your parents getting into a car crash. You moved from house to house, it felt like you were a disease. You were the reason those families suffered. “It was you.”

What if you didn't survive that one situation? The chair. The rope. You were unconscious when you were found. Your foster parents were worried sick when you were taken to the hospital.

What if you didn't survive that kidnapping? What if you didn't survive anything that had happened to you? Would things have been different?

What if you didn't exist? Maybe that is true. Maybe in another universe.