Into The Owl-Verse (Part 5)

The whole city found out in less than an hour...and quickly went into mourning over their fallen hero. Everyone was left in utter horror, with some even refusing to believe that she was truly dead.

Even those who found Spider-Witch as a reckless vigilante were left silent.

Luz personally attended the funeral, wearing a Spider-Witch costume she had bought under her jacket and hood. The whole city attended or watched it online, and were completely quiet when Eda's partner, Raine Whispers, spoke in honor of their wife.

"...my wife, Edalyn Clawthorne, was an ordinary person. She always said it could have been anyone behind the mask...she was just the one who happened to get bit." Raine said with tears in their eyes. "She didn't ask for her powers. But she chose to be Spider-Witch. My favorite thing about Eda was...was that she made us each feel powerful. We all have powers in one way or another. But in our own way...we're all Spider-Witch...and we're counting on you."

Luz looked at Raine amongst the crowd, whispering. "...they're counting on me..."

Then, a citizen gently leaned over. "Pretty sure they're not talking about you specifically, I think it's just a speech..."

Luz blinked and nodded. "...thanks."

"No problem."

The following hour, Luz grabbed as many comics and articles as she could on Spider-Witch. She studied her moves, her battles, anything she needed to know.

Eda wasn't there to teach her, so now she had to teach herself. She was a smart person, she should be able to figure it out, right?

She then flipped to a page, seeing that Eda had just leapt off a building to truly test her powers. Luz looked up and then put all the comics in her bag before walking up to the tallest building closest to her.

...and then deciding to go for the second tallest instead...and then a medium sized one.

Luz hopped in place, setting her bag down and cracking her neck. She then took a deep breath and ran towards the edge. She could do this! She could-

She then tripped on her shoelace and fell right off the edge, hitting a flagpole which then launched into some power lines which then flung her into a wall, and then a sign and then she landed on a car and onto the ground...but despite her impressive lack of broken bones, something did break.

Luz's eyes widened and she sat up, reaching into her pocket and seeing that the override key, the thing that Eda tasked her with on her dying breath...was now busted.

Utterly defeated, Luz just laid there while holding the broken override key as snow began to fall from the sky and onto her.

Later that night, she went to the grave of Edalyn Clawthorne and pulled off her mask. "...Miss Eda, I...I-I'm so sorry...I...I know you said that I'm just like you, but I'm not...I made a promise and...a-and I don't know how to keep it..."

She sighed, falling on her knees and into the snow. "I'm not Spider-Witch...you...you died because of me...maybe if you hadn't saved me, you...you could've stopped The Collider..."

She wiped tears from her eyes. "...what am I going to do...?"

But then, a shadow began to loom over her and a voice spoke. "Hey, kid-"

Luz quickly pulled on her mask and then whipped around, suddenly stopping the person from grabbing her by grabbing their wrist...and then, her hand suddenly glowed a light green and shocked the person.

The person was sent flying, but a familiar golden web shot onto Luz's chest and pulled her over. The two crashed into the snow, with the mysterious person being knocked unconscious from the shock.