chapter 1

Sybil

I want to get off this plane and go back home , to my friends and aunt . But I know I have to help mama with money . I've never been to a palace before let alone serve there. This is going to be my new life , filled with balls and dances from royal families.

I sigh and look out the plane window . I want to be like the birds in the motherly sky , free and singing non stop with no one telling them to stop.

But maybe I'm just overly magnifying this little trip of mine. But nevertheless, I shall be able to find newer friends.

....

I look around the airport and see my name on a board hold by a man . I walk to him and greet him.

"Bonjour madame, je m'appelle Je suis monsieur Vittorio du palais royal Je suis ici en tant que chauffeur. Accueillir. "

I look at the man before me who's speaking in a language I never preserved my self to learn.

"Uh mister , I don't understand French." I say feeling utterly coy .

"Oh , you should've said that . I said good day madam , I'm your chauffeur, sir Vittorio of the royal palace . Welcome."

"Oh , now that's good . Thank you sir. "

"Well , without any further delay , we shall be on our way ." He says leading the way and I follow.

....

The house or should I say palace is absolutely marvelous. It looks like the ones my mama used to tell me about . Maybe because she was living here.

"I'll take care of the bags. Julie, come and take miss..."

"Sybil." I help him with my name .

"Miss Sybil . Take them to the maids' rooms ."

"Of course let's go."

A lady wearing a maid uniform comes to take my bags. She signals me with her head and I follow her

"It's alright I can help myself."

She looks at me before giving me my bags and leaving me alone with them.

"Follow me to your room."

I follow her and I struggle with my bags . But in the end we reach and survive.

"This is going to be your room . Your roomates will come in a while to fill you in what are your duties. I'm your leader , so one mistake you're fired and maybe you won't be able to see your family again. "

The woman says and leaves without any further ado . I look around the room and it looks a bit... lonely. I walk to the empty mattress and make my bed.

"That's not your wardrobe."

I look behind me to find a girl standing there holding a maid's uniform with a disgusted look in her eyes. She looks me up and down and I shift uncomfortably looking down.

"I'm sorry I didn't know. I'm new here."

The girl laughs and shakes her head. I look at her confused .

"Hi , sorry for my bad first impression. I'm Genevieve. I'm also kind of new here , but I'm not. Oh that's your wardrobe. It's ok , I was just playing with you , but trust me when I say I'm probably the only person who will be nice to you here. Here is your uniform."

"Why is that.?" I ask taking the uniform and putting it on my bed .

"Because you're extremely beautiful. Beauty is very important on this palace . Sometimes beauty means being the prince's favourite. "

"That scares me . "

"Believe me , it should. Now , let's help you get settled in here."

Genevieve helos helps me to pack my bags and items .

"How did try hire you anyway , they didn't post for hire posters?"

"Oh , my mama used to work here , but she got sick and now I'm in here place. "

"Mm, you're the girl . reasonable enough."

"What did you mean about the prince and beauty."

"Well , let's just say the prince doesn't know how to keep it in his pants when it comes to beauty."

"But isn't that embarassing to the royal fa-"

"Shh! You can't go around saying the prince is embarrassing. You'll get your head off immediately. And I'm sure miss Julie told you on how to behave ."

"Not really."

"Well , respect is served . Not earned . You respect each and every person that is above your place in this palace . The other maid like us , you can say anything to them , but not older maids. Are we clear."

I nod and continue unpacking. I feel like I have to be really careful with my tongue that's used to rambling .

"And one more thing. From now on , I'm your friend . Since your mother used to serve Princess Valentina , I'm guessing you'll also be serving her. Good luck by the way. She's not an easy one."

Wow, this is overwhelming.

"But why is the older maids not serving her , since they've been here long enough."

"Because she said she wants your mother's daughter, which is you. She loved your mother I guess."

"My mama is a very likable person." I say smiling.