chapter 9

Cyrelas

And just like that everything is back to normal. Not that I'm against it , because I know it's a good thing . And what happened was just a spur in the moment.

"Son, are you listening?"

"Yes mother."

"Ok , who caught your eye ? Lady Ludovica maybe like always of course , or any other lady or maybe a Duchess or Princess."

"No one caught my eye mother."

I say reading some papers regarding the town.

"Son , you're the Prince of Éze . You have to bring in a child , an heir. You're getting older. The bride season has been on for days and still nothing."

"Last time I checked a man can have children at even 112 years ."

"Is that what you want ? For you to bring an heir 2 days before you die. I also want to have an experience of being a grandmother for God's sake. Why are you being so selfish , you already have loads of girls from noble families at your feet and you are still roaming around. You're growing old my son , you can't have your first child at your late 30s. Don't you want to experience being a father  and witness your child grow to the fullest?"

"Mother I'm still 24."

"And by 25 you'll be a Grand Prince. By 24 I already had your two older sisters , they're now married and Duchesses . See , I had the experience of watching them grow and I feel happy and proud about it . You don't want an heir son , you need it and you know that . Make sure tommorow someone catches your eye or at least by the end of the season."

My mother says and leaves . I sigh lying on arms. I know I need an heir , not only me but the whole town .

....

Sybil

I walk to the garden with a smile on my face . I know the day he came I said I didn't feel a certain way , but that has changed. We're how we used to be before I left home . He's still funny and makes me laugh . I didn't know I wanted him to be here until he was here.

"Sybil. You're here."

He says acting like a mere gardener. Yeah, that's how our relationship has been. We can't be doing things like back home because this town is really old version. If we were to be seen together, it will cause a scandal which can ruin the reputation of the palace as we work here. We usually meet at night.

"How's the garden?"

"Quite surprised that I'm actually good at it . Do you want to harvest something?"

"No it's ok."

"How is it inside the palace. Still the same everyday, no royal theatre.?"

"No , today there's an event though , for the season as always. "

"What if you catch someone's eye.?"

"That won't happen, they only choose girls with noble titles. Not just a girl with a name and a surname. "

"I don't think it's fair . What if you like a normal person .?"

"Then you have to close your heart and just choose a Lady or Duchess. "

"I feel safe now . I know no one can take you."

He says and I laugh shaking my head.

"Is that the Prince?"

Andrew asks looking behind me and I turn. Of course it's him . Why is he standing there like he's stuck .

"Do you have any idea why he's looking at us."

Andrew asks and I shake my head.

"No , he's just like that . Weird."

I say the last word with a whisper and we laugh.

"Aren't you afraid of him , who am I kidding of course you're not . But he's the Prince."

"Yeah , you know such things don't usually matter to my tongue. But don't worry , I know my limit ."

"He's still looking, I think you should go before they fire you."

"Yeah , bye . I love you."

"I love you too. "

I blow a kiss before leaving.

......

The ball has been going well except for one thing . The prince's eye . But I try to ignore it when I can . I smile at Ludovica who's coming towards me . She just finished dancing with a Lord.

"Sybil , we're going horse riding. Do you care to join."

She says immediately taking me by surprise. I nod and she leaves and I follow her.

....

She didn't tell me everyone was going to be here . The prince and her  friends. The only person I know is Vittorio and Gen . Genevieve is here because princess Valentina is also here.

"Sybil , this is my best friend Lady Avengeline and this is Sybil." 

She introduces us and the girl just gives me a weird look. I give her my hand for a handshake and she just looks me up and down without taking my hand. I can hear the other girls laughing and I look down taking my hand back.

They all leave and I just stand there . It's clear I don't belong here . I go to stand near a tree further from everyone as I watch them ride.