Chapter 6: Magicry

(Cameron Ross---------------------->)

Caddie's POV:

I followed the strange boy through the nearly deserted halls.

Instead of talking, we shared mischievous smiles and snuck around the castle. Nox Haven was nothing I thought it would be like. I never expected to learn that magical creatures existed and that I was a part of the most powerful race. Originally, I had thought the school would be filled with rebellious teenagers that pierced every visible part of their body and crazy people who heard voices in their heads. From what I had seen Nox Haven was truly a school for special kids.

The mysterious boy slipped his large calloused hand into my petite one. Heat flooded to my cheeks when I realized I didn't mind having him close to me. Rationally I knew he wasn't holding my hand because he liked me, but I couldn't stop a small smile from forming on my face. We giggled throughout our journey as I nearly fell twice. It was nice to laugh with someone, I almost felt normal.

"And this the Nox Haven conservatory," his voiced boomed in the large glass room.

A toothy grin broke out onto my face as I basked in the rays of sunlight. Twisting vines and exotic plants made the conservatory look like a rain forest. A mixture of the earth's natural aroma and a floral fragrance attacked my senses as I ventured deeper into the jungle. I felt like I had taken a portal to another world, and since I was in Nox Haven I didn't doubt that it was possible. To my dismay, we left much earlier than I would have liked, but the boy insisted that there was one more stop we had to make. We darted down the hall, hoping to avoid any lingering teachers. Just when I thought we were safe I heard Keagan's voice resonate from down the hall. The boy clutched my hand and pulled me behind an unlocked door.

My two left feet tripped over the air as he spun me around. I teetered backward but two strong arms encased me in a vice-like grip before my head could collide with the floor. Without thinking about my actions I snuggled closer to my savior. My mind drifted to a peaceful place as I breathed in his masculine musk of evergreen forests and rich spices. My entire body must have gone red when I felt his hands snake around my waist pulling me into an intimate embrace. When the fog in my mind cleared I quickly stumbled away. I fell against a cold metal object that was mounted on the wall and the whole room illuminated. My cheeks heated up and I looked away quickly. The boy began to laugh.

"I don't see what's so funny," I said, utterly embarrassed. He saw that I wasn't laughing along and regained his composure.

"Nothing. It's just that I've never met a witch who's so jumpy," He said earnestly.

I looked at him more closely this time; he didn't look like any of the warlocks I had seen so far. I thought of Keagan's clean-cut look and compared it to this boy's dirty grunge vibe.

"Who are you?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm Cameron," He said. "But you can call me Cam." Cam had gotten distracted by something behind me and wondered off to find it. I followed him into the main part of the room, but I wasn't done with my interrogation.

"Why aren't you like the others?" I asked but then had gotten distracted by the room in front of me.

It seemed like we had stumbled upon heaven for bookworms. It was a large circular room with golden accents and enough books to build a ladder to the moon. Every level displayed a fresh new wave of books, and on the ground, several plush love seats and old-looking rugs decorated the room. Cam slowly walked into the middle of the room with an awed look on his face, and behind that, I swear I saw a hint of recognition.