Chapter 11: The Heirs

**Caddie, Mira, Kimone, Ryder, Aleksander and Maddox up above. (All the heirs).**

CADDIE's POV:

I laid on my bed, hugging Ebony close to my body. Today did not go as I expected. I don't know what I expected to happen; but private defense lessons, hot princes, and scary magic was not in my mind. The day wasn't horrible overall but it definitely was a shock. I still remembered Bertha and Marcy, the smell of freshly made pancakes, and the simple scenery of the south. I felt like I had taken a portal into a completely different world.

A knock broke me free of my reminiscent thoughts. I looked over at Alix's bed, she had left a few minutes ago. I didn't think about where she went, that was her business. It had nothing to do with me. I placed my sleeping cat onto the bed and walked over to the door.

"You know you do have a key," I opened the door without looking at the person standing by it.

"Really? I didn't know?" An attractive voice with a Russian accent said from behind me.

I tensed. I faced the window and refused to turn around. Every time I looked at him my resolve weakened, and I was no more than a pile of blushing mush. I watched the moon appear and disappear between the clouds. The moon casted an ominous shadow over my body as I stood completely still.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, ignoring his previous statement.

I heard his feet shuffle against the old floorboards until his body pressed against mine. My body tingled as I felt his hot breath alongside my neck. His chest was hard, I blushed and tried not to remember how impressive his abs looked. That doesn't matter, I scolded myself. If he's a jerk then it doesn't matter that he's attractive. I've met tons of hot guys that didn't have the personality to back up the looks, they never interested me the way Aleksander Volkov did. I ignored all the red flags waving in front my face and turned around. My eyes were level with his broad shoulders. In the dark he looked intimidating, his blue eyes were staring at me intently while his dark hair faded into the shadows. His tall and muscular stature only added to my insecurities. For the first time since I met him I entertained the thought that he might be capable of breaking more than just my heart.

"You promised Kimone that you would introduce yourself to the group," his mood grew solemn. The arrogant smirk was completely wiped from his face.

"I don't remember promising, everyone just assumed I'd show up," I corrected him and sat back down on my bed.

He leaned against the bedpost and gave me an exasperated look. "That's not very nice, Caddie. We're going to be stuck with each other for the rest of our lives, so you should get to know us."

I rolled my eyes and plopped Ebony onto my lap. She yawned and stretched before rearranging herself. Lazy cat, she could probably sleep through World War III.

"I'm not stuck with you Aleksander, I have other friends."

I felt a stab of anger before it was quickly suppressed. I abruptly stopped petting Ebony and narrowed my eyes at him. His emotions were muddled. I could practically feel the invisible forced wild he was setting up, that separated my mind from his feelings.

"Those people aren't your real friends Caddie. It's really the same old cliche story-" he was going to continue on but I cut him off.

"Enough! I don't want to hear what you have say to me," my anger quickly rose as he uncovered a fear I never knew I had.

"You may not want to hear it but that doesn't stop it from being true," he said bitterly,"the other council members and I understand. We've been in the public eye much longer and we know what it's like to face those trials and tribulations."