Chapter 9: Defending the Heart

Caddie's POV:

"Wha—" I turned around.

"We have to go to a private defense session," Aleksander smirked at my startled expression. 

I rolled my eyes when he said the word 'private.' "Why can't we train with everyone else?"

"It's not safe, for them and for us. We're designed to be excellent in combat. Not every witch and wizard was made for that. Also, the council members don't trust anyone to come near us with any weapon." Aleksander led me up the stairs, ignoring the heated stares of the other students as we walked together. I ignored the stares I got from bystanders and ogled at the impressive architecture of my new home.

"You're acting like this is the most amazing thing in the world," Aleksander chuckled as I stopped him to look at a painting. I rolled my eyes but couldn't stop the heat that was rushing to my cheeks. He's had his whole life to live like a prince, today was my first. I don't think it was unacceptable to be excited over every detail.

"That's because this is the most amazing thing in the world. I've never seen anything like this place before," I said in awe.

A group of fairies flew by leaving a trail of sparkling dust on the floor. Witches and warlocks spoke to each other avidly as magic filled the room. Their hands lit up with bright colors every time a new spell was casted. Werewolves watched from the sidelines with grimaces on their faces, it was clear they weren't fond of witches.

"Nox Haven is unique with its beautiful architecture; but you seem awed by all of the magic around us," his blue eyes were bright with amusement, he had a charming smile on his face. The smile slowly faded when I nodded and continued walking.

His brows were furrowed in concentration as he tried to figure me out. "I don't get it," he finally said, "Why do you act as if this is new to you?"

I smirked. All of the other Heirs were kept in hiding until they were able to attend Nox Haven but they still knew about the magical world. At least that's what I had gathered; but I was different. I remembered what Heidi said about trying to find me, and how Mava called me the 'lost' princess. It seemed like once my mom died I was cut off from the supernatural world. No one knew where to find me, so no one could explain to me what I was.

"Kimone was right, we should definitely take the time to get to know one another," Aleksander mused after regaining his confidence. "I'll walk you to the Magicry after school."

I was about to protest when he held up his hand, "Don't try to talk me out of it. You probably don't even remember where the Magicry is, so I'll do the gentlemanly thing and help you find your way. Also, I'd like to spend more time alone with you."

I don't think I have ever stopped blushing since I met him. He led me to the classroom and once again my jaw went slack with awe. The room was large and open, lethal weapons lined the walls and the floors were covered with padded mats.

Ryder and Mira were already on the mats taking jabs at each other with their fists, whereas Kimone and Maddox were quietly stretching. The instructors were barking orders at them.

"I get it that we're important to society, but why are the council members going to such great lengths to conceal us? Can't they just protect us if there's a threat?"

"They used to be able to protect everyone if there was a threat." Aleksander explained, taking off his blazer and collared shirt.

I really tried not to stare, but my eyes were attracted to the hard muscles of his abdomen and chest.