Chapter 17: Oh Brother

Caddie's POV:

I stared into a pair of mesmerizing blue eyes. They said eyes were the windows to the soul; if that was true his soul must have been spectacular. I knew the eyes belonged to a man because of the masculine voice that struggled to speak through the dark.

"Help me..."

"Caddie please..."

My mind was swimming in a lustful haze. I could hardly process his pleas. The pull was undeniable. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was gorgeous. My heart was pumping and my palms were sweating.

"Caddie..." he chanted. "Caddie. Caddie!"

* * *

I awoke with a start. Alix stood at the foot of my bed, glaring at me.

"I've been calling your name for 10 minutes. No dream boy is worth wasting my time over!" She barked.

I rubbed my gritty eyes. Light was already streaming through the window, and Alix was in her uniform. I knew I must have slept in terribly late if Alix was awake and ready.

"What dream boy?" I asked groggily, pulling myself out of bed.

Alix's eyes bugged out of her head. "What boy? How about the one you were moaning about all night!"

My muscles whined in protest as I pulled myself out of bed. I purposely ignored my outraged friend and grabbed my uniform from our small wooden dresser. The hardwood floor felt freezing under my bare feet, it felt unpleasant but it had effectively jolted me out of my sleepy state of mind. To escape the the frigid floor I made a mad dash to the bathroom.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I told her honestly as I rested my feet on the plush bath mat.

I couldn't remember anything from last night. The only thing that lingered from the night before was the pulling sensation. The same pulling sensation that was driving me to find answers. If I had any luck I'd be able to sneak into the Magicry without any followers. One of those books must know who Dmitri is.

"I think that dark one did more damage to your pretty little head than you'd like to believe," Alix muttered.

I could sense that the negative emotions had yet to trickle out of her system. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but I knew Alix wouldn't tell me the truth. I let the petty comment go and got ready quickly. If I didn't show up to breakfast on time, Aleksander would get suspicious.

Stepping into the warm shower, I let the hot water rush over my body. It was amazing how in a school filled with magical perks the shower was still the most marvelous place of all.

Letting go of my worries and fears, I relaxed. The calm feeling only lasted for a minute though, Alix was good at keeping me on my toes. She continued to yell and bang on the door until I was done.

Walking out of the bathroom, I narrowed my eyes and said, "You're a cruel person."

"Now you know how I feel," she snapped and pushed me out of the room.

Alix:

I pulled Caddie through the halls. She insisted on taking her sweet ol' time just to piss me off. It worked, but two could play that game.

"Elevar," I hissed. And Caddie levitated off the ground.

"What the hell?" She screeched, flailing her arms and legs around. "ALIX SLADE! PUT ME DOWN!"

I ran down the hall, Caddie flying in the air beside me. All the bystanders laughed hysterically, which only made Caddie angrier. I suppose I should have felt bad, but I didn't—it was payback in a way.