Chapter 1

The land stood out before me as I approached it with a predator like smile on my face. I knew I could do this, I've done this many times before. It wasn't actually quite hard. I prowled slowly towards towards it with my black beauty of a beast under me.

I patted the beast under me and leaned down, whispering in his ear, "okay Storm, you ready to do this?" Storm huffed, rolling his lips in response, and I grinned. "Then let's go." I leaned back up in my saddle, took a hold of the reins and kicked him in the side to get going. We took off running towards the poles with great speed and before I knew it, we were flying over the first set and then to the next set. We kept doing it until we had completed the course and I let out a yell in victory.

Storm and I turned around to go through the course again. I shook the reins to start but stopped short when I heard, "Mia! Did you finish all your chores?"

I groaned, "not yet. In a minute I will."

"Get off that horse and finish them then. Once they are, then you can get back on him!"

I sighed before yelling back, "fine! I'll come do them now!" I grumbled as I directed Storm towards the stables and quickly galloped over there. I hopped down, taking Storms reins, and tied them around a pole so he didn't go anywhere. I then quickly started feeding and giving water to the other fourteen horses that were in the stables. We were a place that kept other people's horses if they couldn't keep them at their own house and property.

We had twenty stalls in all to keep the horses so there was exactly five left to fill before we were full. Four of the fifteen horses were our own. Storm was my horse, he was a big black beauty with a white diamond like shape on his forehead that also had a white stripe going down his snout coming out from the base of the diamond. He also had two white rings just above his front hooves otherwise the rest of him was black.

Ava was my mom's horse. She was a white beauty. She was almost completely white with some darker spots here and there.

Prince was my dad's horse. He was big white and gray horse and was especially good for racing. Every competition my dad has entered with him for the past few years, he has always won. Prince was the star of circuit when it came to being out here.

And last, but not least was my little sixteen year old brothers horse Toby. Toby was a brown horse with a white diamond shaped spot on his forehead also. He loved everybody and liked to do the roping events in a rodeo. It was actually pretty exciting and fun to watch. Tanner took great pride in his horse and hung up all of his and Toby's ribbons on his stall in a fireproof case and all of his trophies in his room.

I finished feeding and giving water to them and came back over to Storm, thinking that I should probably groom him now. I took off the saddle and hung it up but came back to him saying, "don't worry boy. We'll go back out later tonight, alright?" We both loved going out at night, it was so peaceful and there was no one to tell us what to do even if I was twenty-one.

Yes, I was twenty-one and still living with my parents but it was because I wanted to, not because I had to. I was looking for a place to live where I could have a bigger ranch than the one we have now and have a bigger business, but the problem was, I needed money, and that I didn't have. It looked like to me that the land and everything with it was going to pass down to me. How do I know that? I've heard my parents whisper about it a few times. They know I want to stay in the business all my life, which is why I only took the classes needed in college that I needed to for this kind of thing for the past two years, finishing them all very quickly. Now all I had was this, but I was happy and that's all I needed.

I started hosing down Storm before using a bucket of soap and water to get him cleaned. I scrubbed all over him and laughed when he pushed his nose in my hair, tickling my neck. I pushed his nose away and said, "no Storm. Don't do that." As if ignoring me, he did it again. I squealed and jumped back as my neck was tickled again by him. I glared playfully at him before I continued scrubbing him clean then hosed him down again to get all the soap out of his hair.

Just as I was finishing up and putting everything away for the day, I heard my mom yell outside, "dinner!" I looked over at my brother who was just coming in for the day with Toby and putting him in his stall.

Tanner looked back at me with a grin after I put Storm in his stall also and we both yelled, "race ya!" We raced out of the stable and towards the house. Tanner almost past me, that was until I pushed him out of the way, making him land flat on the ground because he wasn't expecting that. "Mia!" he yelled after me as I made it to the front door first and turned around sticking my tongue out at him like a little kid.

"What can I say?" I laughed, "I'm just better than you!" I then squeaked as he stormed towards me and went inside the house, slamming the door shut and locking it behind me so it would be harder for him to get it. I then strode into the kitchen like nothing ever happened but with a smile a on my face, congratulating myself on a job well done.

I changed into a new pair of clothes, getting out of my wet ones and sat down at the dinner table just as Tanner started banging on the door. I looked around at mom and dad who were also sitting down at the table. Dad laughed knowing what had happened because I had past him on my way to my room to change my clothes and he had raised an eyebrow at me, wondering what I had done this time to my brother. I had only shrugged in response to him before closing the door behind me.

Now Tanner was yelling on the other side of the door exclaiming, "Mia! Let me in!"

"Mirabella," my mother said sternly, "what have I told you about locking your brother outside?"

I shrugged, "that he should know where the key is by now so he should be able to get inside himself."

She shook her head with a sigh but I saw her smile slightly in amusement. "Besides," I continued, "he should be in here any second." As if on cue, in walked Tanner glaring at me. I gave him an innocent smile as he sat down at his own spot of the table on the other side. "What happened?" I asked him innocently as well.

He only glared at me in response before we all started to dig in and eat. I was laughing quietly to myself because of Tanner and the way he acted. Once we all finished eating, we washed our own dishes and put everything away. Before all dispersing to do what we wanted for the night.

I went back to my room after dinner and changed into some blue jeans to go riding for the night and a plain white tank top with a purple designed buttoned up t-shirt to go over the top of it. It was one of my favorite riding outfits to go in outside at night. It was comfortable and fun. I put on my cowboy boots on next and looked in the mirror at myself. I had actually red hair, not the light redish-orangish hair but actually dark blood red hair, more like a rose color. It stops about half way down my back. I also had light blue eyes and a pretty good facial structure according to other people.

I sat back down on my bed and waited a few hours for everybody to go to sleep. After making sure that they were, I snuck quietly out of the house, trying not to make a sound. I crept over to the stables and to my horse with a smile on my face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think of the first chapter? I know it was pretty boring but read on please, it get's more interesting.

Comment

Vote

Share