Newt - Stubborn

~~~~~~

You raise your eyebrows at the five boys in front of you, scowling.  "You have got to be kidding me.  I didn't do anything wrong."

Minho raises his arms.  "See?  I don't think she did anything wrong either.  She's a Runner, and she acted like one.  Who the shuck finds a problem within that sentence other than Alby or the idiot next to me?"  He asks, pointing at Gally.

"For what its worth,"  Thomas chimes in, "I think she did the right thing too."

Newt runs a hand through his hair, sighing.  "Alby, Gally, enlighten us as to why you think she messed up."

Alby plants a firm frown onto his face, saying, "Ya can't have a council meeting without all the rest of the members.  Plus, when was Thomas even a part of this?"  He asks, getting more agitated with every word.

You interrupt all of them.  "The rest of the members aren't here because none of them gave a single fuck except for you and Gally, Alby.  Thomas and Minho are here because Newt had to be.  And as far as I can tell, I did nothing wrong.  So I am going to leave, right now."  You stand up, pushing the doors of the room open and making a point of slamming them behind you.

You decide to walk over to the forest - there wouldn't be any Gladers over there to piss you off, and you'd finally have some peace and quiet.  As if on cue, you hear someone's footsteps from behind you.  You groan, turning around.  "Whoever you are, back up."

Newt sighs, clearly pissed.  "Did you--  You can't just say something like that and leave and not expect someone to come after you."

You roll your eyes.  "Why are you here?"

"Why did you pull that stunt out in the Maze?"  He responds, crossing his arms.

You walk up to him, jabbing a finger into his chest.  "As much as you'd hate to admit it, Newt-" You poked his chest again, continuing, "-you know me better than anyone else in this damn place.  Do you honestly think what I did was a stunt?"  You seethe.

"Who--"  His expression is one of both bewilderment and anger.  He takes a deep breath before responding.  "You knocked out a Griever, then ran out of the Maze.  Please tell me how that wasn't a stunt."

"First of all," you say, pressing your finger harder into his chest, looking up at him to speak, "I never knocked it out.  It was in our way, and I cut of one of its legs by accident.  It then proceeded to look me in the eye, then walk away.  I didn't kill any Griever, or any bullshit theory that Gally came up with!"  You shout, throwing your hands up in frustration.  "Why does Alby even believe him?"

"I don't know, alright?  Clearly something that he's said has made sense to Alby, which is why they seem to be so close, and it's making me as mad as it is making you, okay?"  He shouts back, pushing a hand over his hair.  He turns around, then turns back to you, quieting down.  "Look, I'm the only reason Gally hasn't taken your ass to the Slammer."

You press your lips into a firm line before responding.  "So what do you want now, a thank you note?  Thanks, Newt, for keeping me out of a prison when we're all already stuck in one.  At least I did something - maybe the Grievers won't attack anyone now.  Maybe someone who gets stuck out there overnight won't get eaten.  At least I made an improvement to this damn place!"

He rubs his face.  "Y/n, people have given up on trying to get out.  You've been here for three weeks - haven't you noticed?  There is no leaving here."  You notice that he isn't that mad anymore, just tired.

You sigh, tugging on the end of your hair.  "I'm sorry, but I need to get the hell out of this place.  I'm going to keep trying, and you know that."

He looks at you, and some of the anger is still there when he responds.  "So you're okay with getting thrown into jail, or getting stung, or having who knows what done to you just so you can get out of here to a place you don't even know exists anymore?"  He advances towards you with every word he says.

"If there is a single chance of getting out, I will take it."  You say, backing up slightly.  You hit the trunk of a tree, which let you know that you couldn't move any further.  

He stands directly in front of you, and brings both his hands up to your face, bringing your forehead to his.  Before you can question his proximity, he presses his lips roughly against yours, moving one hand down around your waist, pulling you to him.  You gasp, and he brings your bottom lip between both of his, tugging on it gently.  You moan softly, wrapping both arms around his neck, and he pulls back for air, before pressing his lips against yours again.

After standing there for a few minutes, he pulls back, resting both hands on your hips, and brushing his nose against yours.  He takes a breath before speaking.  "You're stubborn as hell, and sometimes piss me off beyond anyone else."

You raise an eyebrow.  "You're honestly giving me mixed signals right now, Newt--"

He leans forwards, silencing you by kissing you again.  "But that doesn't mean I won't help you.  And if that means going out into the Maze and doing something crazy, so be it."  He says slowly, and a grin creeps up your cheeks.

"Really?"  You ask, and he takes a breath before nodding.  You grin, bringing his lips down to yours again, and you can feel his laugh against your lips.  Pulling away, you kiss his cheek excitedly.  "Thanks, god, Newt--"

He chuckles, hugging you to him.  "You and me, right?"

~~~~~