tbs - cheat

~~~

"You still cheated," I say firmly, crossing my arms as a tear threatened to slip down my cheek.

Thomas pushes a hand forcefully through his hair.  "I said I was sorry, why do you keep bringing it up--"

I scoff, my eyes widening.  "Why do I keep bringing it up?  Because it happened a month ago and I'm finding out now, that's why I keep bringing it up!  I didn't even find out because of you, I found out in People fucking magazine!"  I yell, pointing to the article opened on my phone.  The treacherous tear falls.

"I said sorry," he says tiredly.  "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to try harder."  I saw, my lips pressing into a thin line.

There's silence, before I lift my phone up to my face and turning it off so I could look at my reflection.  My mascara had started to run, so I sigh, running my thumb tenderly underneath my eyes to remove it and cursing softly.  "Look, I need to go to work.  Go do whatever."  I say, looking back at him.

"Y/n, please..."  he walks towards me, taking my arm gently.

I pull away, touching the pads of my fingers to my forehead for a moment and closing my eyes to catch my bearings.  "No.  I need to go to work,"  I repeat.  "You fix this one."

How I was to manage not falling apart at work was beyond me.

***

"Rough day, hun?"  Loretta, the elder lady sitting in the desk across from me, asks.

"Huh?"  I look up at her.  "Uh, yeah...guy troubles, no big deal."

"Your eyes are still puffy, and the others know that you were in the bathroom crying in the morning."

"Fuck."  I mutter.

"How is Thomas, anyway?  What did he do?"  She asks, resting her chin on her fingers.  She was a nice woman, one of the first to welcome me into my position when I began to work here.

"He's alright, I guess, no big deal,"  I say politely.  I didn't want to disclose any information when I knew she would be able to see it on the news anyway - plus, I was sure she knew already from the look she was giving me.  I decided to move the conversation elsewhere.  "And how is your grandson?"

She smiles affectionately.  "Oh, Blaine celebrated his second birthday last night!  Well, it was a couple of days ago, but his mum was sick, and we couldn't go out, and his dad was where?  Nobody knows, although Sarah insisted that he was a good man when she married him, although I still doubt the fact that they actually got married..."  She continues, and I shamelessly zone out.  Propping my cheek on my closed fist, I watch her with unfocused eyes.

What would Thomas be doing right now?  I think to myself.  Well, I'm not really sure how this day was to go out, but as if on cue, my phone buzzes on the other end of my desk.  I snap out of my thoughts, smiling at Loretta.  "Sorry, but I need to take that.  Wish Blaine a happy birthday for me!"

She smiles.  "Of course," she says, before turning back to her computer.

I grab the phone, looking at the text that Thomas had sent.

>>> bby boy:  when are you getting home?

I furrow my eyebrows.  I always get home around the same time.

>y/n:  Normal timings, round 6ish

>y/n:  6 30 if traffic is shit

A cruel thought seeps through my mind.  Why is he asking - so he can send the other girl home before you get there?