Kangaroos & Dinner For Two

"Maisie." Jack's hand tangled itself around mine as we moved down the paved path, "What's wrong?"

     "Nothing." I smiled, leaning my body against him. His fingers uncurled around mine, and his arm snaked around my waist, holding me there. He squeezed, causing me to squeal and giggled.

     "Oh," He laughed, "So you're ticklish."

     "No," I lied, hoping that would stop him from what he was about to do next. His fingers squeezed again, and I ducked out from under his arm, running backwards.

     He took a step forward, his fingers outstretched and waggling.

     "No!" I hurried backward, "Jack, don't."

     "I'm going to get you!" He lunged forward, and I squealed as my back was now pressed against the tree. I held my hands out in front of me, laughing, "Jack!"

      He grabbed my waist, pulling me toward him. His lips pressed against my own, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Big mistake. He grabbed my waist, now sending me into a fit of laughter and giggles as I squirmed to get away.

     "Jack!" I cried frantically, not being able to stop laughing. I coughed, unable to catch my breath, "Stop it!"

     "Excuse me?" A man's voice came from behind. We both turned, Jack's arm snaking back around my waist playfully. "Is everyone okay over here?"

     "Yeah." Jack smiled, pulling me closer to him.

     "Ma'am, if he's bothering you—"

     I shook my head, wrapping my arms around Jack. "No, he isn't. We're just messing around. Thanks, though."

     He hesitated, meeting my eyes before taking a step back. He moved back to where the woman I presumed to be his wife was standing. Two small children clutched each of his hands. His wife looked over her shoulder at me before they vanished down the path.

      I pushed against Jack's chest playfully, laughing. "You better watch yourself."

     "Watch myself?" He laughed, grabbing my waist and yanking me roughly forward. I fell into his chest, and his arms wrapped loosely around my body. I leaned into him, laughing. He was doing a good job of keeping my mind off of my mother, although I still dreaded to be going home to face her after this.

       Jack glanced at the silver watch hung tightly around his wrist. "It's already almost 4," He blinked, "Wow."

      "That went fast," I added. As I considered this, I realized the drive to the zoo was long, delaying our arrival until almost two. I suppose it hadn't been that fast.

      "What to?"

      I laughed, considering this, before deciding.

      "Monkeys." Jack's arms fell from around me, and he grabbed at my hand again.

      "Okay, monkeys for the monkey."

       "I'm not a monkey!" I shoved at him with my free hand, laughing.

       "Yes," he poked my nose, "you are."

       "Then you're a—" I frowned, glancing at the signs around me hoping to think of an animal quickly. I turned to my right, just in time to see a hopping animal move across its exhibit. "—kangaroo."

       He raised an eyebrow, watching me. "That's the best you've got?"

      I laughed, nodding. "So you have to hop the rest of the time."