Blue Eyes

Three more drinks later, and I was stumbling out of the bar with my arm wrapped around Logan's neck. The room spun, and I felt the eyes on me as I moved toward the exit. Logan tried to help me walk, but after a few steps toward the car, I was suddenly lifted into his arms. He yanked open the passenger door to his car and set me into the seat. I yawned, before groaning at the spinning world.

     I looked over to him as he slid into his own seat. He kept his eyes forward, starting the car and pulling out of the parking spot. I stared at him the whole way back to his place, but he refused to even look at me. When we pulled into his driveway, and he turned off the car, I finally decided to speak. 

     "Logan," I mumbled, his name slurring more than I would have liked it to. 

     "Maisie, don't start."

     "Logan." I leaned over, pressing my lips sloppily to his cheek. 

     "Stop. You're drunk."

     "I'm just a little drunk," I argued, giggling. 

      He rolled his eyes just as mine fluttered closed.

***

      "Logan?" I sat up, looking around the room. My head was pounding, and I had a taste in my mouth that confirmed my suspicions as to why my hair was now in a ponytail. My eyes took in my surroundings as the light illuminated the room. I wasn't in Logan's bed. This must have been the guest room. 

     I managed to stand up, the room still spinning slightly as my head pounded. I wasn't sure if Logan's parents were home, so I was cautious when I peaked my head out into the hallway. From this angle, I could see Logan's door was open, and he wasn't inside. 

     I craned my neck to see the other direction, glancing down the hallway. When I turned back, Logan was standing in front of me. I screamed out of instinct, and I clamped my hand over my mouth to quiet myself. 

     "What the hell are you doing?"

     "You scared me."

     "What are you doing?"

     "I didn't know if your family was home," I whispered. 

      "They're not." 

      His voice was harsh. It matched his annoyed tone from the previous night when he came up behind me at the bar and grabbed my arm, insisting it was time to leave. It was a lot different than the last time we had seen each other. 

     "Okay." I nodded.

     "Now, tell me. What the hell are you doing?" I cocked my head. I didn't understand. "You're out and drinking now? You're staying there alone and letting weird guys hit on you?"

     "That's what this is about?" I questioned, and I was aware I sounded bitchier than I had planned to. 

     "What?"

     "Is that why you're being such a jerk to me? Because I was with another guy last night?"

     "How is taking you home and holding your hair back while you threw up all night being a jerk to you? I didn't sleep at all last night. I was so busy making sure you were alive.

      I blinked. 

      "Come on," Logan grunted. "Let's get you some food."

      "Logan," I whispered. 

      "You have two guys who are so in love with you, Maisie. Why are we not good enough? Why do you need weird, older guys grabbing at you." 

      "That's my decision."

      "You were too drunk to even know what was going on. You're lucky I came in when I did. His hands were all over you."

       "I didn't mind it," I protested. 

       "You act so tough, Maisie." He was laughing. "We both know you're not as tough as you pretend to be, though."

      "Hey."

      "I saved you."

      "No one asked you to!"

      "No one had to ask me to. I love you. I'm going to protect you when I can."

      I looked at my feet, and he grunted in response to my silence. He rounded the corner, dashing down the stairs without another word. I followed slowly, trailing behind. I moved into the kitchen, taking a seat at one of the bar stools. I set my hands on the counter, my palms pushing against the cold granite. Memories from the night before started flooding back.

     I remembered introducing myself to the guy who slid in beside me. His eyes were a piercing blue, stealing my breath when they met mine. He was older than me by a few years. I had lied, telling him I was 21 and could drink legally, which is what my fake ID had said. He had caught on quickly, though. The first clue was that the ID had said my name was Katie, but I had introduced myself as Maisie. 

     He had said I was too young and beautiful to be here all alone, and he'd take me home if I'd like. I knew better than to leave with an older guy I didn't know when I was that drunk, but when his palm flattened on my lower back, easing me toward him, I didn't stop him. 

     Logan had came up behind us, setting a hand on my shoulder, asking me if he could give me a ride home. I, of course, protested. I stated that it was rude to leave whatever his name was behind, but Logan insisted that I had drank enough for one night. Blue Eyes scribbled down his name and number on a napkin and tucked it into my hand. As I stood, he grabbed my hand, tugging me close enough for him to kiss my cheek. Thinking back now, Logan was absolutely right. 

     I remembered Logan tugging the napkin from my hand as we headed toward the door, tossing it into a trashcan as we passed. I had scolded him, annoyed that he would be so rude as those blue eyes were still following us. I glanced over my shoulder to look at him, but he had vanished into the crowd, and the room was spinning. 

      I draped my arm around Logan, stumbling alongside of him as we exited. 

      "Hey Logan?" I looked up at him as he dug through the refrigerator. 

       "Yeah?" He turned to look at me, his voice softer now. 

      "I love you." 

      "Let's get you some toast, Mace," he whispered, pulling out a loaf of bread. 

       "And Logan?"

       "Yeah, Mace?"

       "How'd you even know I was there last night?"

        He moved to set the bread on the counter, with his back turned to me. He was pulling out a slice and sliding it into the toaster as I watched him, waiting for an answer. He looked over his shoulder for a second, his eyes briefly finding mine. He turned back, sliding a second piece of bread in as he mumbled his response.

       "Jack called me."