Fix This

I took a deep breath, standing in front of the large wooden door. I lifted my hand, holding it in mid-air. I considered turning around, climbing back in my car, and speeding home as fast as I could. I knew better than to do that, though. I knew I needed to fix this. I allowed my fingers to curl into a fist, tapping them lightly on the door before me. 

    The door open slowly, my brother appearing. I bit my lip, knowing he was just as angry at me as Jack was. I hadn't rehearsed what I would say to Tyler when I saw him. I didn't even consider the possibility that I may run into him here. I was too focused on seeing Jack. I had tried out dozens of different things to say on my drive over to the apartment, but no string of words sounded right. 

    "Tyler." My eyes met his, and my heart pounded as I waited for an answer.

    "I think you should go back home, Maisie." 

    My heart dropped into my stomach, and I felt tears pricking my eyes. He rarely ever called me Maisie. I was always Maize to him. Ever since he was little and struggled to say my full name, he had called me Maize, and only Maize. I had only heard him call me my full name a handful of other times, and they almost all meant he was mad at me -- like really mad at me -- or sharing bad news such as a death in the family. 

    He was really mad at me. 

    "Ty," I whispered.

   "Who was at the door?" I heard Jack's voice booming from behind. 

   "No one important." 

    Tyler shot me one last look before he started to close the door in my face. I slammed my hand on the door, stopping it from closing with a thud. I knew Tyler was already mad enough at me, and while I didn't want to make things worse with him, I needed to see Jack. 

    "Move." I kept my voice even, strong, as I tried to think of things that made me happy so I wouldn't cry. It didn't work. He stood taller, blocking the entry. 

    "Maisie, go home."

    "No." 

    "Maisie," he growled. "Go home." 

    "I want to see Jack," I pleaded. 

    "Trust me," he stated, "it's not a good idea."

    "I know he's mad at me, but..." my voice trailed off as a giggle filled the room.

    Tyler's voice softened, and his eyes changed from anger to pity. "Maize."

    "He has a girl here?" I looked up, my eyes widening and filling with tears. Tyler stepped forward, pulling me into his arms. "You let him bring a girl home?"

    "I didn't let him do anything," Tyler whispered, his hand sliding up and down my back. 

    "You let him cheat on your sister, though?"

    "My sister cheated on him. Besides, you guys broke up last night." 

    "He told you that?" I stepped back, biting my lip. Tyler only nodded. "I made a mistake, but we didn't break up." 

    "Maize, I don't know what you want me to say. You know I can't defend you this time."

    "Can I please come in?" Tyler raised his eye brows, giving me a skeptical look. "As your sister," I whispered, "can I please come in?" 

    Tyler didn't speak, only stepping aside, allowing me to enter into the living room. My eyes took in the familiar surroundings as I moved down the hallway. Jack's bedroom door was partly ajar, but I didn't bother looking inside. I stopped in front of it, looking back to Tyler who had just closed the front door.  He shook his head slightly, and I moved into his room instead, closing the door behind me.