Confused

"He just left the room?" Violet looked up at me. Hallie scribbled on a notepad, trying to get the pen she was using to work. She leaned forward across the counter, grabbing a new one. She went back to marking inventory, not paying attention to the conversation. 

   "Hallie, are you okay?" I turned to look over my shoulder at her. She looked up at me, nodded once, and looked back down at the paperwork in front of her. I finished folding the shirt I was holding it, lying it back on the display table.

   "Why are you lying?" Violet questioned, folding her arms over her chest. 

   "I'm not lying." 

   "Hal, you're never quiet when I'm talking about stuff like this," I noted. 

   "No," she corrected, "Violet's never quiet." She didn't look up this time. 

   I looked over at Violet and shrugged, deciding to drop it. "He just left. I got dressed and left."

  "Did you talk to Tyler about any of this?" Violet questioned. 

   "He was still in his room when I left. I heard him talking to someone. I think he was on the phone or something."

   "That's not weird," Hallie commented. 

   I cocked my head, narrowing my eyes slightly. Violet had the same idea I did, noticing Hallie only spoke up when we had mentioned Tyler. We both just stared at her silently.

    She looked up slowly. "Would you two stop staring at me like that?"

    "Hallie, are you seeing my brother?" I raised my eyebrows.

    "What?" Her eyes widened. "No!"

    "Oh, my God!" Violet looked at me. "Hallie, why didn't you tell us?" 

    "I don't know what you're talking about." She looked back down at the paper in front of her. 

    "That's why you don't seem interested in the conversation. You already know all of this!"

    "Fine. I was on the phone with Tyler when you left, yes." She caved, setting down her pen. She looked up slowly, her cheeks turing red and a slight smile tugging at her lips. 

    "Hallie!" I dropped the shirt I was folding, moving across the store to stand at the counter in front of me. Her eyes were wide, her cheeks red. 

    "You're not mad, are you?"

    "No," I promised. I was smiling at this point. "That's awesome!"

    "It's not weird?"

     I shook my head. "I dated my brother's best friend. Why can't he date mine? I'd be a hypocrite if it bothered me, wouldn't I?"

    "It didn't work out with Jack, though. I didn't know how to tell you with everything going on."

     Violet squealed, per usual, earning a glare from Hallie. Things were normal again. 

     "Mace," Hallie whispered, nudging her head toward the door behind me. I turned slowly, already knowing what I'd see. Things weren't normal, yet. 

    The bell rang, signaling the open door. Logan's voice echoed through the whole store. It was loud and stern, and yet he didn't sound angry. "I need to talk to you, Maisie."

    "Logan, I--"

    "Maisie. I love you." I froze, staring at him. Our eyes focused on each others'. I knew the girls were watching, listening, standing right there in the same room, and yet all I could focus on was Logan standing in front of me. When I didn't respond, he continued. "I didn't plan on falling in love with anyone this summer, and I especially didn't plan to fall in love with a girl who has a boyfriend."

    "Jack and I aren't together anymore."

    "Maisie."

    "Logan, I didn't mean for any of this to happen," I whispered. 

    "I fell in love with you, and you fell in love with him."

    "I don't love him anymore."

    "And?"

    "That's all I know right now."

    "Logan, maybe you should let Maisie have some time to think," Hallie commented. 

    "I don't want her to think." He was still staring at me when he spoke, despite his words being directed at her. "I don't want her to decide if she wants to be with me right now. I want to know how she feels about me, though. She doesn't need time to think about that."

    "I love you, too, Logan."

    He nodded, moving across the store, leaning forward and pressing his lips to my forehead, before he turned around without saying another word. The bell signaled his exit. I stood frozen in place, watching him cross the street and climb into his car. 

    "Mace," Violet started to speak. I only shook my head. 

    "Maisie, talk to us. Are you okay?" Hallie moved around the counter, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. I didn't answer, my eyes focused on his car as it sped away. She pulled me closer to her, resting her head on my shoulder. Violet rested the broom against the wall and crossed the room, joining in our group hug. I didn't cry; I didn't smile; I didn't speak.

      I just stood there, confused.