Part 9

.

[Ashton's POV]

Tonight was the night. You could say I was excited, but I don't think even that could compare to the feelings building up inside me as I drove to the Windy Mesa. The sun had just disappeared behind the horizon, the cool night air settling in around the tiny town. As I arrived, the parking lot was so crowded that I could only find a parking spot two blocks away.

It was a quick walk, my long legs carrying me down the pavement as I listened to the hooting and hollering of already drunk teenagers. I grimaced as I stepped into the overly populated bar, the bouncer acknowledging me with only a nod.

I could name off practically everyone here and that only made me want to turn on my heels and leave. You'd think that after three years that there would be a mutual respect between one another, but no, they all still treated me like I was the Aussie alien. 

Turning to my right, I made my way down the bar, praying that there would be a seat open and to my surprise there was one all the way at the far end. I sighed heavily as I pulled the stool out and plopped down on it. I ran my fingers through my hair a few times as the pretty bartender took my order.

I should have asked Charlie if she actually wanted me to be here tonight when I saw her last. But there was no way I would have subjected myself to the group of snobby girls she had been with. I really hope she doesn't end up becoming one of them. It was actually something I thought about a lot. Really, ever since she went to LA, I assumed that she would morph into some bleach blonde bimbo with a head full of air. But now after talking to her, I was certain she was still the same girl from high school deep down, even if she didn't want to admit it. But in the end, you are the company you keep.

I sipped my beer quietly, keeping my head as far down as I possibly could, just in case someone decided they actually wanted to talk to me. In a split second my head popped up at the sound of a very familiar voice. The lights dimmed and instantly everyone started screaming and clapping.

Charlie stepped out onto the tiny stage, my eyes wide as I stared at the attire she wore. Skimpy little booty shorts and a crop top that could actually count more as a bra. With her voice, she really didn't need to be wearing such provocative clothing, but I wasn't about to start complaining.

Her voice sounded out through the small room, silencing any other noise being made. But what could you expect, this girl was talented. Even the 50 year olds, who only came to the bar to play pool, had stopped to listen. How such a tiny girl could produce such a powerful sound was unbelievable to me.

But her voice wasn't the same as before, it was as if the record label that had signed her had tampered with it somehow. She definitely had more control over it and now it seemed to be polished to perfection. You could tell that there was a set way that each song should be sung and she never strayed from it. Charlie had never seemed to be one to go by the rules, but this was her dream. I don't think she would ever give it up now that she had it.

It was one pop fluff song after another and the crowd was just eating it up. She really did seem like a totally different person up there. I guess she was Atlas Rose after all.

I sat back in my chair already on my third beer as her set seemed to be coming to an end. This type of music never really appealed to me, I appreciated it, but I was more of the classic rock and roll kind of guy. But this was Charlie and I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to hear that voice again. 

My head tilted to the side as she seemed to become nervous all of a sudden and I swore that her eyes flickered in my direction for a split second.

"So this will be my last song." People started protesting loudly.

"But-" She paused and thought for a moment. "I'd like to sing something a little different than what I've been singing tonight."

I sat up straighter in my chair, my curiosity getting the best of me. I was practically on the edge of my seat by the time she spoke again.

"I wrote this song a long time ago. I hope you like it," With that, she nodded toward the sound guy and the music began to play.

My eyes were shut tight, the song immediately resonating in my mind. It was one of the songs I had heard her sing in high school. Soft, melodic, almost desperate words flowed from her lips and it only had me wanting more. This was the Charlie I remembered.

It was a sad song, but the change in her voice was noticeable. Her whole entire body language changed, her shoulders dropping all the tension she had been carrying. Everything about her seemed so much more relaxed. The song was slow and soulful. It held a deeper meaning, something that you wouldn't be able to find in any of the songs she had sung previously.

Before I knew it, the song had ended. People clapped and yelled all the same, but I could tell they didn't quite understand what that song had meant to her. She just smiled sheepishly, waving once, before she disappeared behind the stage. I guess that was it then. I'd finish my beer and be home before gran went to bed.

No more than five minutes later, I tipped my head back, letting the remanence of what was left in the glass bottle run down my throat. I slid from my seat, grabbing my flannel from the back of the chair before I quickly turned to leave.

"Ow!" A tiny voice spoke from somewhere below me.

I stared down at the girl I had just run into, to see none other than Charlie standing before me. My heart jumped to my throat as I started down at her with wide eyes.

"Hi," She smiled up at me as I took note that she had changed her clothes into something less revealing.

"Hey," I breathed.

"Sorry," She stared at me uncomfortably. "I saw that you were going to leave and wanted to see you before you did."

"Oh?" I questioned.

I was quite surprised by her statement. Why would she want to talk to me when there were plenty of people ready and willing all around the room? She moved passed me and took a seat on the empty stool next to the one I had been occupying, ordering a drink from the bartender.

"Put it on my tab, would you Meg?" I spoke up, taking my seat again. "And I'll have another beer as well."

The bartender nodded with a knowing smile and scurried away to get our drinks.

"You didn't have to do that, Ashton," She smiled sweetly.

I shrugged. "It's no big deal, really."

"You're a great guy, you know that?"

"What?" I laughed, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"You're really sweet," She nodded her head, thanking the bartender as she set our drinks down in front of us. "It's hard to find guys like you in this town."

"I'm really not," I gulped my beer, hoping it would calm my nerves.

"You sounded great up there," I spoke after a long pause.

"Really?" She scrunched her nose in a cute way. "I don't know."

"It was the last song. It was beautiful," I reassured her. "It wasn't like the others."

"Yeah," She laughed almost bitterly. "That's because it isn't. I actually wrote that song."

"Well, it was my favorite," I glanced at her to see a light blush on her cheeks.

"You know," She fiddled with the glass in her hands. "I wanted to invite you to this the last time I saw you, but-"

"Don't worry about it," I cut her off. "You looked a little busy."

"Yeah, I know," She paused, biting at her lower lip nervously. "I guess, I just didn't really know how to."

"You can ask me anything, anytime, Charlie," I smiled down at her pretty features.

I swore that her cheeks grew redder the longer I stared at her. She just smiled up at me and it only made me that much more giddy. It was strange that even after three years this girl was still on my mind. I should be over my high school crush, right?