Part 25 :: FINAL

*

[Ashton's POV]

I tugged at the tie that was wrapped around my neck as I stood in front of the full-length mirror in Charlie's room. Today was the day. It was finally time to say goodbye to my grandmother and to this desert town. There was no doubt in my mind now that leaving Page was the right thing to do. I needed a new start.

"Ashton." I felt Charlie's hands run down my back and I turned around to face her.

Much like me she was clad in all black, the long silky dress flowed down to just above her ankles and the doc marten boots she wore. On any other day, I would admire her for how beautiful the color looked on her but today it just made me sad. Charlie ran her hands up my arms reassuringly before she laced our fingers together tightly.

"You ready to go?" She asked.

"No."

Charlie gave me distressed look but pulled me toward the door anyway. It's not like I couldn't go, it was my grandmother's funeral after all. The lingering knowledge that my mother would be there irked me still, but again there was nothing I could do about it. I just hoped she took what I said to heart and left once the funeral was over. There would be nothing left for her here if she stayed because I planned on leaving and never looking back.

Mr. and Mrs. Brennan stood in the front hall waiting for us. Both of them had unreadable looks on their faces as we left their house. Charlie's parents parted ways with us as they headed toward their car, while Charlie and I walked to my truck parked at the curb. My eyes squinted up at the bright sun, happy with the fact that it wasn't raining today. It would have only made it that much worse.

Michael had called me this morning to tell me that he would meet us at the church just outside of town, where the funeral would to be held. My grandmother had never been religious while I was growing up but I had learned that her and my grandfather used to attend church while he was still alive. It was the same place that she'd be buried, so it only made sense.

My nerves started to build the closer we got. The parking lot was almost deserted when we got there, but what did I expect? There weren't many people around who appreciated my grandmother as much as I did.

We were silent as we moved across the parking lot toward the stark white building. I could see Michael standing by the door looking like a lost puppy and for a second I wondered if I looked the same. Michael took a few steps toward us before he pulled me into a quick hug. If it was any other day I probably would have pushed him away with a sarcastic remark, but today I embraced him like he was the last person I knew on earth.

"Come on," Michael motioned to the door that Charlie's parents had just disappeared behind, "There are already people inside."

"Why were you out here then?" I asked as the three of us stepped over the threshold.

My eyes darted around the practically vacant church, while Michael spoke in a soft tone, "Funerals don't really settle well with me."

"Yeah," I gulped, feeling my nerves start to build once again, "Me neither."

I felt a pair of eyes on me and I quickly turned to my right to see my mother standing along with the few others who had decided to show up. She stood silently as the older couple talked quietly to each other. I looked away and down at Charlie to see her was already staring up at me.

"It's going to be okay." She smiled slightly and I wondered how she was able to do it with such sincerity.

Michael took the lead as we made our way up the main aisle and I made sure to keep as much distance between my mother and I as I could. I slid into the second row of pews. My eyes were fixated on the large pine box off to the side of the alter that held what remained of my grandmother.