Part 20

*

A/N: So this is a really, really short chapter. It's more or less like the setup chapter before everything happens. So yeah, hope you guys like it and thanks so much for reading! Vote? Comment? Love.

***

[Ashton's POV]

No one can prepare themselves for death. I understand that it is a part of life and it will eventually happen to everyone, but the ways that some people die just don't seem fair. For weeks I tried to keep myself collected and strong because I knew my grandmother was anything but. It was the day Michael came into my work that I started to loose it.

"Hey." Michael smiled as he stepped into the deserted music shop.

"Hey, Mike." I spoke quietly, fiddling with the flannel wrapped around my waist, "What's up?"

His eyes traveled around the room as he stood quietly just a few feet away from where I was crouched stacking CD's. He was oddly quiet and that was putting me on edge.

My eyebrows furrowed together the longer he just stood there not making any eye contact, "What's going on?"

"I got a new job," He spoke quickly, "It's more like a promotion, I guess."

"Well that's good, isn't it?" I was confused as to why he wasn't bouncing off the walls with excitement.

"I have to move to LA."

And there it was. This couldn't be happening, not now. Charlie was already a thousand miles away and now Michael was leaving me too. I felt tears sting the backs of my eyes, dropping the rest of the CD's I was holding to the ground.

"You can't leave, Michael!" My voice cracked. I didn't care if I cried in front of him. He had already seen me in worse states.

"This is really important, Ash." He gave me a hard look.

I wiped at my eyes angrily, "And my dying grandmother isn't?!"

"That's not what I'm saying." He took a tentative step forward. He spoke like I was a five year old throwing a temper tantrum, but I guess that was partially true, "This is important for both of us."

"How could my best friend moving away be good for my life?" I glared at him.

"Because," He smiled unexpectedly, "I want you to move with me."

"W-what?" My voice was strained.

"The place I got has an extra room and we can find you a job-"

"I can't leave!" I yelled at him as more tears brimmed my eyes. Just the idea of stepping foot out of this town right now made my head spin.

"I'm not going to let you get stuck here, Ash!" Michael's voice matched mine, "You need to start thinking about the future and this shit town should be the first thing you see in your rearview mirror."

My shoulders shook as I rubbed the heels of my palms against my eyes in frustration. The future. It was like everyone already thought my grandmother was dead. Like she wasn't lying in the hospital still fighting for what little life she had left. How could I think about the future when the only family I had no longer had one.

"What about Charlie?" Michael interrupted my thoughts.

"What about her?" I spat over protectively. Thank god there wasn't anyone around to witness our argument.

"What do you think she would say right now?"

"She would- Well..." I tripped over my words as I thought over his question again, "She would tell me to do what make me happy."

"And wouldn't you be happier if you lived closer to her?" Michael now stood in front of me.

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I guess."

He put his hands on my shoulders and I finally looked up to meet his gaze, "Look, I'm not going anywhere until everything with your grandmother is figured out."

I nodded my head slowly, not really knowing what to say anymore. I was so thankful to have a friend like Michael, a friend who was thinking about my future when I wasn't fully capable.

"There's still time." Michael smiled halfheartedly.

No words left my lips as I nodded my head once again. He watched me for a second with concerned eyes but eventually took a step away from me, nodding as well.

"Do you want me to hang out for a while?" He broke the long silence.

"No." I bent down to collect the CD's I had dropped, "I'd rather be alone right now."

He was hesitant at first but soon took his leave. Yet again I was all alone. I thought about how this is exactly what it would be like if I stayed here. I'd work that same hours on the same days but instead of coming home to a caring mother figure, I'd be coming home to nothing. Maybe Michael was right. Maybe I should be thinking of what to do next.

But there was still that little part of me that thought I should be suffering along with my grandmother. Things were going to change, but I couldn't tell if it would be for the better or for the worst.