fourteen

"Have fun!" Lauren called as Camila hurried down the sidewalk. They'd been so caught up in tossing a toy back and forth with Wolf that morning that both girls didn't realize they were going to be late for work.

Just as Lauren went to start the car once more, she caught sight of someone running back towards the car. She grew confused when Camila motioned for her to roll down the window, tapping on the glass hurriedly.

"Are you going home?" Camila asked, out of breath. Lauren nodded, raising an incriminating eyebrow.

"Good," Camila nodded. She bit her lip to hide her excitement. "Look in the guest bedroom."

Before Lauren could even ask her wife what she meant, the smaller girl took off down the sidewalk and disappeared into the building. Lauren furrowed her eyebrows together, suddenly curious as to what Camila was talking about.

She hurried home, tossing her jacket aside by the door and startling Wolf when she accidentally pulled the door shut with a bit too much excitement. The cat sat up from his perch on the counter as Lauren headed down the hallway.

They had been so busy with the wedding the week before that they hadn't had time to pay much attention to their house. The only two rooms they occupied most of the time were the kitchen and the bedroom, so the two empty rooms at the end of the hallway had yet to be lived in.

Or so she thought.

Lauren was confused as soon as her fingers curled around the doorknob to the guest bedroom and she came face to face with a completely different room. Her breath caught in her throat and she allowed her eyes to scan her surroundings.

On the opposite side of the room sat a brand new easel, right in front of the large window that held the perfect view of their large backyard. On the adjacent walls, there were string lights and random pictures the girls had gathered over their time as a couple. Rows upon rows of shelves held all of her art supplies, organized neatly together.

Lauren couldn't find her words. When had this happened? The green eyed girl took a step forwards, allowing her eyes to scan over the various photos that had been hung on the walls.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of something pinned to her easel. Raising an eyebrow, the green eyed girl crossed the room and carefully took the lined paper into her hands.

Lo,

Please don't be mad.

When we got married, we both said we did not want to do anything big. But I had to do something. Because you deserve big things.

I do not know what I am supposed to say. Happy wedding? That sounds funny. But I am happy because we are married. I wish I could really show you how happy I am. I can not even put it into words, Lo. I love you.

So please do not be mad. I know how sometimes you do not like when the attention is on you. But I needed to do something. And you should not be mad, because I think this is like a present for me, too.

I wanted you to have somewhere that is all yours. You know? A space where you can paint amazing things and listen to your favorite songs as loud as you want.

And I like to watch you paint. It is one of my favorite things. You love it, and I love you. So it works out. I hope you like it.

I love you.

- Camila

Lauren couldn't help the dorky smile that spread across her face. There was just something so special about Camila. She couldn't explain it.