forty three

Camila's heart dropped.

Before she could say anything, Maia quietly slipped back into the house. Biting her lip and looking at the sleeping girl in her arms, Camila hurried back inside as well.

She heard movement in the kitchen, and quickly laid Presley's sleeping figure beside Lauren so she could slip into the other room. Her eyes then met Maia's, and she tilted her head to the side, almost in a silent question.

All she was met with was a soft nod from the other girl, to which Camila immediately opened her arms and looked at Maia hopefully. Moments later, she wrapped her arms around the distraught girl in a hug, feeling her heart break for her friend.

"I am sorry," Camila whispered, unsure of what else to say. Toby, who was on his phone by the counter, gave Camila a sad smile over his wife's shoulder. Camila would never point it out, but she could tell he had been crying as well.

"It's okay," Maia's voice wavered slightly when they pulled away from the hug. She wiped her eyes, shaking her head. "She handled it better than any of us."

"You did not lose her," Camila spoke up following a few moments of silence between them. "You... you may think you did, but you will see. You can not lose people. Love.... it can not be broken. Trust me."

"Thank you," Maia whispered, pulling Camila into another hug. Shocked, the smaller brown eyed girl quickly wiped a tear that had fallen from her own eye.

"What the fuck are y-?" The moment was interrupted by a groggy Lauren, who wandered into the room and quickly cupped her hands over her mouth when she saw a distressed Maia and teary eyed Camila in front of her.

"What's going on?" the dark haired girl rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times to let them adjust to the light. When Camila met her eyes pleadingly, Lauren furrowed her eyebrows and turned to Maia, which was when she realized.

"Oh," the green eyed girl whispered. "Oh."

"Yeah," Maia mumbled, glancing back at Toby who was watching their interaction. "We just got back... I-I... you guys can head home now."

"No," Lauren and Camila spoke up at the same time, surprising one another. They had both seen how stressed Maia had been before. Shaking her head, Lauren stepped forward and pulled the girl into a hug.

"You've been through a lot today," the green eyed girl said softly, comforting her friend. "Sleep in tomorrow. Both of you," she pulled away and pointed towards Toby. "We'll take care of Lucas." Camila nodded softly in agreement.

"Thank you," Maia whispered, biting her lip. "Was he okay tonight?"

"More than okay," Lauren laughed softly and glanced back into the living room. "Presley seemed to take a liking to him."

"Presley," Maia's eyebrows raised. "You guys having a kid is going to take me some getting used to."

"Where is she?" Toby asked, coming up behind Maia and placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Asleep," Lauren nodded, glancing at the clock. "It's almost midnight."

"Yeaaaah," Camila nodded, mid-yawn. Lauren laughed and nudged her side softly.

"Get to bed, yeah?" Lauren gave Maia a stern glare. The girl nodded, glancing up at Toby, who kissed her temple. "We'll see you in the morning."

After saying their goodnights, Lauren collapsed back onto the couch in the living room, being careful not to disturb Presley. When Camila didn't join her, though, the green eyed girl sat up once more.