nineteen

Both girls sat in silence for a good 30 minutes. Camila had Wolf cradled in her arms, looking down at the floor nervously. Lauren's heart ached when she saw how badly the smaller girl was shaking, but she didn't know what she was supposed to do.

She couldn't help the sigh of relief that left her lips when she heard soft knock at the door. Camila tensed, but Lauren practically scrambled to let Dinah and Normani in.

Upon opening the door, Dinah gave Lauren a knowing look and made a beeline for the living room. Just as Lauren turned around to follow the girl, she felt a hand grab her wrist and pull her in the opposite direction.

"What the-?" Lauren stumbled when Normani tugged her into the bedroom. "What are you...?"

"Breathe," Normani laughed, placing her hands on the other girl's shoulders. "I just need to make sure you're alright."

Lauren sighed, leaning back against the door and trying to push past all the conflicting emotions she had running through her head. Normani studied the other girl, well aware that she wasn't 'alright.'

"I don't know what you expect me to say," Lauren said quietly. "She won't even talk to me."

"It's that bad?" Normani's jaw opened slightly, and the dark skinned girl struggled to hide her shock. Lauren nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"You know how she was when she first... you know?" Lauren's voice grew quiet. Normani nodded hesitantly.

"She's... like that," Lauren choked on her words, cupping her hand over her mouth and turning around to try and hide her tears. Normani wasn't having any of it, though, and she grabbed Lauren's shoulder to turn her around.

"Like what?" Normani prodded, needing answers. Lauren took a deep breath and shook her head.

"I don't know!" Lauren threw her hands down at her sides and gave up on trying to hold back her tears. "Everything is 'ouch' or 'please' or 'stupid' or... I just... she won't even talk to me!"

"Woah, woah, okay," Normani grabbed Lauren's shoulders and carefully led her over to sit down on the edge of the bed. "I didn't expect it to be that bad..." she confessed.

Lauren bit her lip, nodding before letting her head drop into her hands, trying to stop herself from crying any harder than she already was. This was literally causing her physical pain.

"All we heard is that there was a shooting and that they got the guy, but her was like, already dead," Normani reached out to rub circles in Lauren's back, trying to comfort her friend.

"She had blood..." Lauren breathed in deeply "...on her hands."

"What?" Normani froze, leaning over to try and see the expression on Lauren's face. "Was she hurt?"

Lauren shook her head, digging her nails into the material of her jeans and willing herself to stop crying. She hated acting like this in front of other people.

"I don't know what to do..." Lauren admitted, burying her face back into her hands once more and taking a deep breath. "I can't... I just... seeing her like this again was my biggest fear and now..." she gave up on trying to hide her emotions, inhaling sharply as a sob escaped her lips.

"Hey, hey, let's not jump to conclusions," Normani shook her head and scooted closer to Lauren. "Can't you call her doctor? Yeah... let's.... let's do that first. That's the first step."

Lauren wiped her eyes, looking up at Normani when she felt the girl lean behind her to grab her phone from the nightstand. "What's his name under?" the girl asked, looking to Lauren for an answer.